Run TV from generator?

McGuywer

TVs come in different sizes but I will tell you about mine. My plasma draws 400W and has a bit of inrush. My LCDs use around 200W. These units have power supplies that regulate the internal voltage lf the TVs. From a power point of view you shouldn't have issues with the generator. An old generator should be pure sine, although the 2kVA sounds a bit low. You may experience frequency issues if load steps are to big or if the engine misfires. There are also issues with earthing and such small generators. 

1 minute ago, frivan said:

TVs come in different sizes but I will tell you about mine. My plasma draws 400W and has a bit of inrush. My LCDs use around 200W. These units have power supplies that regulate the internal voltage lf the TVs. From a power point of view you shouldn't have issues with the generator. An old generator should be pure sine, although the 2kVA sounds a bit low. You may experience frequency issues if load steps are to big or if the engine misfires. There are also issues with earthing and such small generators. 

No misfiring genny should be used for any load. 1st fix the misfire. 😄

My experience with mod wave inverters as well as generators is the older TVs had no issues running on such generators but the newer smart TVs don't like running on gens or mod wave inverters . 

Some smart TV just shut down ofter switching on and others pictures flickers and some run for an hour or 2 and stop working and some just run for hours with out issues . 

So it's the risk you take of you run the newer TV on anything else than pure sine wave units . 

On 2023/04/24 at 10:59 PM, McGuywer said:

How do I know the genie is pure sine wave?

It is a MacAfrica WH2600E.

Look at the "AVR Fitted" at - https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/mac-afric-2-8-kva-2-kw-standby-petrol-generator/

I've just come off using my 5KV Grip since 2019 now that I'm on solar and never had a problem. Was actually looking at this MacAfrica generator for my local Roary Clubhouse. Some people just plug in an old inline UPS to "clean" the power.