Premature Axpert Float bug

VaughanT

Folks - has anyone been able to implement a workaround for the float bug?

Ive seen a ton of posts on the problem and it bothers me that Voltronic are unwilling to fix the problem. 

I’ve tried using the battery eq function on the later firmware version and had some success in simulating the bulk charging voltage on batteries that were unfortunately already damaged though an area outage. 

Vaughan 

1 hour ago, VaughanT said:

I've seen a ton of posts on the problem

Then you will know, but newer readers may not: there is patched firmware available for a select few models that completely fixes the problem, sometimes with a one-byte patch to the firmware.

Sadly, there are many models that don't have patched firmware for them.

Happily, it's now a bit easier to patch most firmwares, so it may be possible to have firmwares patched "on request". But there has to be a firmware update file available; it's not possible to "read out" existing firmware in order to analyse and patch it. Plus, there is a bit of skill and equipment needed to perform the firmware update, and a small but non-zero chance of bricking the inverter in the process.

1 hour ago, VaughanT said:

I’ve tried using the battery eq[ualisation] function on the later firmware version and had some success in...

For many, this is the best that can be achieved, unfortunately.

It's so frustrating; this is all due to a careless mistake in early firmware that seems to have been copied over and over.

@Coulomb - In my own experience- I’ve recently replaced batteries and could only afford to replace them with 200Ah gel units. The grid is becoming a challenge in SA and at least this is a way I can keep the batteries within a sane level of discharge. 
When utility returns the inverter refuses to enter bulk charging mode - it simply stops at 27.5V and decides the batteries require no further charging. Approximately 10min later the fans start up and there is some heat dissipation from the unit - but the charge indicator is steady. This happens for a good 30min after AC power was restored. in the past when it enters bulk charging mode the fans speed up and the batteries are charged for an extended period. The batteries are under float charge for extended periods but do not get the necessary bulk charging voltage 

When my inverter was running on gels I had a lot of float charge issues but when I moved to lithium gone is the float bug . 

I notice when running on gels after load shedding of around 2 hours the volts would jump so quick to bulk volts it does not show on the screen and return to float making it look like it never reached bulk charged . 

But on longer load shedding around 6 hours the volts would slowly climb to bulk charge and return to float 

So if your charge amps are set to highest setting the volts climb very quick to bulk charge . Test lower  charge  amps setting and see what it does 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - I set the utility charge current to 10A last night - the inverter went through its routine and it reached the bulk voltage of 28.2V on the batteries. 
I’m beginning to think that something may have caused the unit to inhibit the charging?