Pool heat pump

Raiden2912

Hi All,

I am wanting to heat my pool but I don’t want to use Eskom at all, I have 16x 550w panels, should I use my existing panels or do I need to install new panels with a new inverter etc?

I’m thinking of going with a 13kw heat pump….my pool is around 55000L

suggestions and thoughts welcome please 

thank you in advance 

Edited by Raiden2912

Hi there,

If you're looking to heat your pool without relying on Eskom, it's great that you already have a set of 16x 550w panels at your disposal. However, it's worth noting that these panels may not be sufficient to power a 13kw heat pump, depending on the efficiency of the panels and the amount of sunlight you receive in your area.

To determine whether your existing panels can support a heat pump of that size, you'll need to do some calculations to estimate the total power output of your panels. You'll also need to consider the inverter you're using and whether it can handle the load of a heat pump.

If it turns out that your current setup isn't enough to power the heat pump, you may need to install additional panels and a new inverter to support the increased load. It's important to make sure that all of your equipment is properly sized and installed to ensure safe and effective operation.

As you're exploring your options, you may want to consider a gas electric switch for your pool heating needs. While electric heating options can be more eco-friendly, gas-powered heaters can often provide faster heating and may be more cost-effective depending on your specific situation. Ultimately, the choice between gas and electric heating will depend on your priorities and available resources.

Best of luck with your pool heating project!

7 hours ago, tyba suleman said:

Hi there,

If you're looking to heat your pool without relying on Eskom, it's great that you already have a set of 16x 550w panels at your disposal. However, it's worth noting that these panels may not be sufficient to power a 13kw heat pump, depending on the efficiency of the panels and the amount of sunlight you receive in your area.

To determine whether your existing panels can support a heat pump of that size, you'll need to do some calculations to estimate the total power output of your panels. You'll also need to consider the inverter you're using and whether it can handle the load of a heat pump.

If it turns out that your current setup isn't enough to power the heat pump, you may need to install additional panels and a new inverter to support the increased load. It's important to make sure that all of your equipment is properly sized and installed to ensure safe and effective operation.

As you're exploring your options, you may want to consider a gas electric switch for your pool heating needs. While electric heating options can be more eco-friendly, gas-powered heaters can often provide faster heating and may be more cost-effective depending on your specific situation. Ultimately, the choice between gas and electric heating will depend on your priorities and available resources.

Best of luck with your pool heating project!

I disagree on this. A 13kW heatpump uses less than 5 KW of electrical power. Refer to any heat pump specs. Some of them might have inverter start compressors like my ITS. 

Thus the 8800W of panels should be good enough. It would not be possible without your home loads to give an indication if 16 panels will be enough. 

Unfortunately I cannot indicate what temp rise you can expect with the 13kW unit on a 5500L pool.