Setting my inverter Growatt SPF5000ES to feed my home at night with batteries alone, not taking any power from the grid

SpanishFlyer

Dear friends,

I have the Growatt SPF5000ES and 7 batteries (Pylontech 6 x US3000C and 1 x US5000) amongst other elements, inccluding 56 solar panels, but the issue I want to solve is related to the Growatt inverter and the 7 Pylontech batteries connected to it.

From 6 PM in the evening to 11 AM next day I have it configured in such a way that only the batteries take all the load; the problem I have found is that even when the load is not much ( between 600 and 700W), the batteries will feed only about 350W and the rest will come from the grid. I have more than enough battery power to deal with the full load, but for some reason they only deliver about 50% and the fact is that when at eleven am the solar panels come in together with some grid power (depending on the weather), my batteries have only dropped th 60-70% SOC (state of charge)....

My guess is that some setting on the SPF5000ES needs to be corrected so the batteries deliver enough to handle the full load during that period. Problem is that reading through the manual I see no setting related to the battery máximum amps that can be delivered in a constant basis, without the aid of the external grid....

Any ideas??

Best  regards

Growatt is as far as I can see a Voltronic clone. So the settings are very similar to Voltronics. I'm familiar only with off-grid inverters but I could imagine that the issue is in the "output source priority" setting (01).

On 2023/05/06 at 12:39 PM, SpanishFlyer said:

Dear friends,

I have the Growatt SPF5000ES and 7 batteries (Pylontech 6 x US3000C and 1 x US5000) amongst other elements, inccluding 56 solar panels, but the issue I want to solve is related to the Growatt inverter and the 7 Pylontech batteries connected to it.

From 6 PM in the evening to 11 AM next day I have it configured in such a way that only the batteries take all the load; the problem I have found is that even when the load is not much ( between 600 and 700W), the batteries will feed only about 350W and the rest will come from the grid. I have more than enough battery power to deal with the full load, but for some reason they only deliver about 50% and the fact is that when at eleven am the solar panels come in together with some grid power (depending on the weather), my batteries have only dropped th 60-70% SOC (state of charge)....

My guess is that some setting on the SPF5000ES needs to be corrected so the batteries deliver enough to handle the full load during that period. Problem is that reading through the manual I see no setting related to the battery máximum amps that can be delivered in a constant basis, without the aid of the external grid....

Any ideas??

Best  regards

What are your settings on parameter 1 and 14 ? from what you describe above you should be able to survive on battery power all nite. 

Edited by Antonio de Sa

1 hour ago, Antonio de Sa said:

What are your settings on parameter 1 and 14 ? from what you describe above you should be able to survive on battery power all nite. 

On 2023/05/06 at 12:39 PM, SpanishFlyer said:

Dear friends,

Any ideas??

Best  regards

Hi, I dont have a Growatt, but inverter settings are roughly always the same when it comes to priorities, so if it was me and I would want to run off batteries and not grid, then I would do the following:

01 - SBU - Solar, then battery then Grid.

05 - Battery type - Lit (Comms to BMS)

12 - Setting Voltage back to Utility - Here set at your cut off voltage, since you want to run off batteries

13 - Setting Voltage back to Battery - FULL (or as High as it would go if you don't have FULL as a choice)

14 - Charger priority - OSO - Solar only charging (My assumption is you have this configured as SNU - Meaning grid will also assist in charging the batteries at half pace)

What I have personally done also regarding #14 above is have the Grid assist in charging but at a very low current, mine set at 2A, this is just to ensure that the batt doesnt go into the day too low, incase of bad weather etc, like today, but if you are comfortable then just switch #14 to only charge from Solar. You can always if you run low and weather looks bad quickly switch this setting to charge from Grid as a backup.

Im no expert but above is what I would have done,

Program code 01 select SOL. It prioritises Solar, then battery and only grid if neither Solar is available and the battery is at it's low level warning.
code 14, either OSO if you only wish to use solar or CSO if solar is only intended as primary source.
100A is the max discharge current from Battery. The Battery BMS may be lower. You have many batteries in parallel so your discharge current per battery will be much less.

15 minutes ago, zsde said:

Program code 01 select SOL. It prioritises Solar, then battery and only grid if neither Solar is available and the battery is at it's low level warning.
code 14, either OSO if you only wish to use solar or CSO if solar is only intended as primary source.
100A is the max discharge current from Battery. The Battery BMS may be lower. You have many batteries in parallel so your discharge current per battery will be much less.

Be careful of SOL, if you dont mind a little Grid assistance early morning and late afternoon, but when solar hits 120V (Min 120V), it registers as being available but it really has no firepower yet, and the system will not use battery since, well solar is available. Then it will assist with Grid power as the criteria for using the battery has not been met.

SBU is the same as SOL but with one difference, if Solar is not good enough or absent it WILL go to battery next.

image.png.0bfa8b81a021c004e36231534b54433d.png

Key words here are - only when any one condition happens - Remember Solar is according to the system available since it registers at 120V, so it will not utilize the batteries no matter what your voltage is set at.

image.png.bcbffe90e7cc2ecd00cfe32d425b1e9e.png

Here the key word are - is not sufficient - So even if Solar registers at 120V early morning but isnt strong enough, batteries will take over.

Now in the evening and using SOL - It will not move to batteries, it will see no Solar - condition met, and Utility will take over, my system set on SOL never uses batteries, it jumps directly to Grid, that's how I want it, as I am not off-grid yet. When I do go full off grid one day, I will change to SBU, and use the batts, and only Grid when I choose as a backup etc.

Thats how I undertand this all.

Edited by Eurard

6 minutes ago, Eurard said:

condition met, and Utility will take over,

If that is your practical experience, then I won't argue with that as my Inverter is an off-grid system and I can't test it. Maybe the grid in SOL mode has to kick in if and when the battery power is insufficient to supply the demand? 
I can only interpret what the description states. Whether later Firmware updates changed any of this behaviour is unknown.
Mine is  40.06 and 41.06 which is the last one ever released for the original Inverter batch. 

1 minute ago, zsde said:

If that is your practical experience, then I won't argue with that as my Inverter is an off-grid system and I can't test it. Maybe the grid in SOL mode has to kick in if and when the battery power is insufficient to supply the demand? 
I can only interpret what the description states. Whether later Firmware updates changed any of this behaviour is unknown.
Mine is  40.06 and 41.06 which is the last one ever released for the original Inverter batch. 

LOL, yeah yours will never go back to Grid ... cause there isnt one. I wish I was there already, awesome man!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your suggestions, Beat, Antonio de Sa, Eurard and Zsde

I haven't visited this forum for ages, so I'm sorry I couldn't  reply any earlier....

Tomorrow I will try all your suggestions one by one; I have actually tried the SBU in 001 one night, but couldn't see any improvement; I have a graph chart of that whole 24 hour period and there you can appreciate the consumption during the night, being between 300 and 600W "stolen" from the grid that multiplied by the 15 hours I'm running on batteries (theoretically), I'm also using about 400 x 15 = 6 kW of grid power.

The orange line represents consumption and the green line solar; I have the system set to zero dumping to the grid, so most of the time, the orange line covers the green line.

The program and hardware is by Smappee..

Thanks again and will keep you posted

night grid consumption.jpg

I have set 01 to SbU, but my system is an Off-Grid type. There are only 2 operating modes: either "battery mode" where noting is coming from grid,  or "line mode", where loads are fed from grid and batteries are also charged from grid together with PVs if available. I wonder if you could reach your goal by simply switching off the power feeder to the inverter during that night period. It would then run as an Off-grid system.