Back up Solution

ASH_JHB

Needing to get a simple set up to cover loadsheding for my Mom place. She lives alone and her usage is very low, around 300kw per month and budget is aorund R25k.

Looking to only have essentials on, lights (LED) and TV. Reading a few posts I think the below could work which goes slightly over budget once you inc installation. 

Axpert 2kw 50a Inverter

2x Hubble S-100A 1.2kWh 

A few questions:

• Does this inverter have passthrough, as in she wont be limited to 2kw when grid is avialable
  • Read about hubble requiring a battery balancer, is that required with this inverter or does does it have a decnt BMS
  • Any special requirements when on prepaid meter? Seen a few issues around this on other posts

Any other reccomendations or suggestions welcomed.

4 minutes ago, ASH_JHB said:

Needing to get a simple set up to cover loadsheding for my Mom place. She lives alone and her usage is very low, around 300kw per month and budget is aorund R25k.

Looking to only have essentials on, lights (LED) and TV. Reading a few posts I think the below could work which goes slightly over budget once you inc installation. 

Axpert 2kw 50a Inverter

2x Hubble S-100A 1.2kWh 

A few questions:

• Does this inverter have passthrough, as in she wont be limited to 2kw when grid is avialable
  • Read about hubble requiring a battery balancer, is that required with this inverter or does does it have a decnt BMS
  • Any special requirements when on prepaid meter? Seen a few issues around this on other posts

Any other reccomendations or suggestions welcomed.

https://solarwarehousesa.com/products/3000va-3000w-solar-ready-mppt-hybrid-inverter-trolley-1x-24v-100ah-lithium-battery

If she is ever only going to use 300w or so ph, then you can even look at the lower spec inverter with bigger battery capacity:

https://solarwarehousesa.com/products/2000va-1500w-solar-ready-hybrid-inverter-trolley-1x-12v-300ah-deep-cycle-lithium-battery-portable-plug-play-trolley

The only reason I had her go for 3kva is to be able to switch on more lights and not stress and over work the inverter, if she needs, she breezes through 4hrs loadshedding, the other day lol phoning me stressed that her battery after 3 hrs was on 26.8V ... 😄

Got my mom one and it really works well for her, also drawing at most 200-300w ph.

Yes, isnt a state of the art system, etc etc, but it does exactly what it needs to do, and if it was me, I would for sure also get one.

Essentials:

Fridge - 150W

Freezer - 170W

Lights - max 50W

With those alone you can easily manage a smaller system.

Im not suggesting you get one, just what worked for my mom, in the retirement village

Edited by Eurard

2 hours ago, Eurard said:

he only reason I had her go for 3kva is to be able to switch on more lights and not stress and over work the inverter, if she needs, she breezes through 4hrs loadshedding, the other day lol phoning me stressed that her battery after 3 hrs was on 26.8V ... 😄

Got my mom one and it really works well for her, also drawing at most 200-300w ph.

Yes, isnt a state of the art system, etc etc, but it does exactly what it needs to do, and if it was me, I would for sure also get one.

Essentials:

Fridge - 150W

Freezer - 170W

Lights - max 50W

Hi @Eurard a good thing jou went for the 3kva system instead of the 1.5kva as the fridge and freezer would have exceeded the capacity of the 1.5kva inverter. Looking at compressors there are 2 currents at play. 1. LRA ( locked rotor amps) and RLA ( running load amps). LRA is normally 8 to 10 x RLA. If the fridge and freezer starts up the current draw is 8-10 times the running amps. Fridge = 1500w startup and freezer = 1700w startup. Lights is not normally an issue for inverters. The battery they use is a  24v/100Ah CONDERERGY LFP i don't now this battery not sure if it is 1C or 0.5C

Edited by TaliaB