Sunsynk 8kw Inverter and Solar Assistant Connection problems

Jakac

Hi peeps

Please forgive me for the post but i need assistant with Solar Assistant connections

I bought both USB serial cable (A) and USB RS485 (B) cable. B worked for a few minutes and disconnected and never connected again. I get the following error. I have 3 Raspberry PIs. i tried on 2 of them with the trial version

image.png.a9ca3c3442686e3ae9abb60e9a150d4e.png

It seems the cable connection is not found at all. It is connected to the RS485 port of SunSynk 8kw inverter. On the RPI i have 4 usb ports i tried between USB2.0 and USB3.0. It worked initially on USB3.0 and disconnected for good. I updated the Solar Assistant and i started having logs about "usb over current change" on the kernel logs whit no connections

I tried USB serial cable after taking off the dongle and it is being picked up but it doesn't connect at all for both old and updated Solar assisant. 

I have spent money on this and can't use it which is frustrating.

Thank you

Hi Jacques

I did.

The USB ports are not listed on the configuration page. I am using a cable I got from SA. The USB serial one is listed by cannot connect and it keeps trying forever.

Could the inverter updates affect this? My inverter is new and I haven't asked for updates yet.

Hi Jakac,

Does your 8kw Sunsynk have a separate "BMS 485" port or does it have the "RS485 Meter" port like the 5kw Sunsynk?

On the 5kw Sunsynk the port for battery comms and the port needed for SA to communicate is the same port which is labelled "BMS 485/CAN"

You say you were using a trial version of SA - has your trial period lapsed by any chance?

Hi Carl, thank you for responding

The Sunsynk 8kw has a CAN port and a RS485 port, there are three more for the Meter and extra 2 more for COMs.

I got to activate the trial version just yesterday.

I tried on 3 Pis, 2 RPI 4B and a 3B+. All same problem. 3B+ had the red light blinking fast as if the cable it requires a lot of power.  On 4Bs the kernel logs have "over-current change" error.

I will keep digging.

Just as a test right, unplug your battery comms which should be plugged into the CAN port and plug in the SA cable and see if you get comms?

I have the RS485 port as well but when I tested during my install it does not work with the SA cable... (1st pic)

There's a friend if mine who has the Deye 5kw and on he has a "BMS 485" port and a "BMS CAN" port, SA cable plugged into the "BMS 485" port and he gets comms. (2nd pic)

Also email SA support - quick response from them and quite helpful.

Sunsynk 5kw Ports.png

Deye 5kw Ports.jpg

Edited by Carl Anthony

Thanks Carl. The Can Port didn't respond.

I have managed to isolate the problem to the cable. I didn't have anyother cable to test with but connecting one end of the same cable to my Linux machine and the machine threw same overcurrent errors all over. It looks like it got shorted do'n't know by what though. The cable worked only for 15min. They have to replace it or I buy another one

I have sent a message to SA and I will wait to heat what they say

Its like having sliced bread 🤣

So that relates to your "Work Mode Timer" under the "Power" tab...or your System Mode settings on the Inverter.

As it stands within the current time period your settings are telling your inverter to discharge your battery until it reaches 80% capacity.

When it gets to 80% it will look for PV if no PV or not enough PV it will look for the grid to  supplement the load.