Protection parts

Sethm

Hey guys

So I was at an electrical company yesterday trying to work out what parts i need to protect my system.

Can anyone let me know what they use on theirs?

Fuses (From where and expected prices)

Isolators or DC Breakers (They said normal DC breakers wont be able to hold the spark away so suggested i use an isolator) So what should i get and expected prices?

Mainly looking for what I need to do between batteries and Inverter and Panel and Inverter.

Fuses (From where and expected prices)

Isolators or DC Breakers (They said normal DC breakers wont be able to hold the spark away so suggested i use an isolator) So what should i get and expected prices?

Mainly looking for what I need to do between batteries and Inverter and Panel and Inverter.

They probably said the normal AC breakers cannot handle the spark under load.

HRC fuses aren't particular whether the current is RMS AC or DC, I just bolted a 100A HRC to the battery with and battery cable to other end, Bought from ElectroMechanica for R80.

You can use fuses and holders if you prefer.

• 2 weeks later...

Isolators would obviously still need a fuse.

You do get both DC circuit breakers and AC circuit breakers that have a high enough arc extinguishing capacity to be suitable to DC up to a certain voltage (much lower than AC however).

If you want to go the circuit breaker route, the question of what will work for you really depends on the voltage and current.

Start there :)

Btw. Isolators are also rated to a certain voltage and current. So you can't just put any old isolator in there.