Deye 6kW not charging the battery from other grid-tied inverters

Cidi Rome

Hello.

I know that I have a bit of a peculiar configuration, but I believe that it should work correctly, yet I can't manage to make it work.

This is the simple design of my installation:

image.png.ad283053d6ccaf0622d76526fc169c4f.png

In the Home Load side of the Deye inverter there are 2 micro-inverters (1 GoodWe 2500xs and 1 APS 500).

The hybrid Deye inverter and battery are installed in a semi permanent way in my current home and I installed them next to the electrical board.
The two micro-inverters are installed in the attic and have very difficult access, so I don't want to mess with the current installation as I plan to sell this home and leave the micro-inverters and panels installed, taking the new Deye inverter and battery with me.

So, the Deye inverter has no panels connected to it.
This issue I'm having is, no matter what I configure, I cannot avoid the generated energy from the old inverters to flow to the grid instead of charging the battery.
One way I found to charge the battery was to manually force the charging from the grid, but that way I cannot balance the charging power with solar production.
Another way I found was was to disconnect the Deye from the GRID and it charges the battery as expected, both are not solutions.

I believe that there may be a firmware bug here, but I didn't find where to download the firmwares on the Deye site to compare with the version I have and maybe check the list of fixes.

Note: the CT is installed, but I understand that it shouldn't be necessary as the GRID input of the inverter is directly connected without any other connections in-between to the GRID.

Do you have any ideas on how to overcome my problem, preferably without doing any re-wiring?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Hi Cidi,

Based on a recent blog post on the Sunsynk website, your setup should be possible, they even state that charging batteries is possible. 

https://www.sunsynk.org/post/boost-the-power-of-your-hybrid-inverters

There must be a setting that allows you to be able to achieve it. Maybe contact Deye directly and enquire. 

Sorry, I don’t have a concrete answer. 

Have you tried connecting the grid tied inverters to the Aux port instead of the non essential house load output. This way you have settings available to manage the flow of power from the grid tied as well as disabling them. This is my understanding. 

Even if the grid is directly connected the CT is still used to measure what comes/goes towards the grid. 

Never tried it like you have, but do you have a Deye micro inverter, and are there any communication cables between the Hybrid inverter and micro inverter?

Maybe on the UPS / Essential side you need some sort of comms between the inverters?

On the Grid side it should work without any comms.  Essentially the same as your AC electrical supplier.

Welcome to the forum.  Hope you enjoy your system, and iron out any problems as soon as possible. :)

Edited by TimCam

10 hours ago, TimCam said:

Never tried it like you have, but do you have a Deye micro inverter, and are there any communication cables between the Hybrid inverter and micro inverter?

Maybe on the UPS / Essential side you need some sort of comms between the inverters?

On the Grid side it should work without any comms.  Essentially the same as your AC electrical supplier.

Welcome to the forum.  Hope you enjoy your system, and iron out any problems as soon as possible. :)

With the OP using non Deye grid tied inverters there might not be comms to the Deye. 

As the grid tied are connected to grid I guess battery charging can be done as if it is from the grid while some of the grid power is actually self generated by the grid tied. Thus timers can be used in the normal way. 

Micro inverter option I guess would also work as under the Aux port settings to indicate the input/output source. 

Hello.

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Someone on other forum pointed me to the solution of my issue:

Despite not having anything connected to the GEN port, I had to set the option
AC Couple On Load Side set to Enable
in the GEN menu.

I didn't think to change anything there because I don't have anything connected to the GEN port.

Hope this information is useful for someone else.

Note: as I said, the micro-inverters are APS and Goodwe and they have no communication to the Deye inverter.

Cheers.

On 2024/04/22 at 4:17 PM, Cidi Rome said:

Hello.

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Someone on other forum pointed me to the solution of my issue:

Despite not having anything connected to the GEN port, I had to set the option
AC Couple On Load Side set to Enable
in the GEN menu.

I didn't think to change anything there because I don't have anything connected to the GEN port.

Hope this information is useful for someone else.

Note: as I said, the micro-inverters are APS and Goodwe and they have no communication to the Deye inverter.

Cheers.

This option is only available if you are allowed to feedback to the grid. Because there is no way to turn off the micro inverters. 

For those that can't feedback you must use the aux port. 

For completely off grid the Deye will increase the AC frequency to throttle the micro inverters