Some of my install.

I did this a few years back when freedom won was still very new on the scene, same with fronious.  its for a small holding with various buildings and the SMA feeds them and any spare charges the batteries through the 2 x 10 kva victrons. There is 15 Kw PV. battery bank is 3400 ah 48v.

I try to only use freedomwon now as far as batteries go.

I stick with products that give good local backup.

9 minutes ago, MartinCoetzee said:

did this a few years back when freedom won was still very new on the scene, same with fronious.  its for a small holding with various buildings and the SMA feeds them and any spare charges the batteries through the 2 x 10 kva victrons. There is 15 Kw PV. battery bank is 3400 ah 48v.

Interesting. 

At 3400Ah 48V is a massive bank. (Roughly 165kWh, of which 82kWh would have been usable to 50%).

At 80% DOD  that is the equivalent of about 100kWh of Lithium battery.

In hindsight, would you still have made this recommendation?

Putting yourself in your clients boots, now that you have used freedomwons, and knowing the costs and with a good idea of the relative performance of this huge bank versus the Lithiums, what would be your thinking?

In terms of ranking, in your journey of refining the system, what is your present preferred choice of hybrid and PV inverter combination?

And conversely, what would you stay away from due to past experiences?

Edited by phil.g00

I now use Victron multipluss or qouttro paired to mppt. i had problems on 2 systems with SMA and Victron that took a while to sort and stil not sure what the fault actually was, i also had a problem between 2 x 5kva multipluss that was parralled to give 10 kva . i have one 10 kva in there now and its working well. I like the ESS assistand as its very flexible.

I try stay away from wet batteries as the clients dont look after them even with all the training i give.

If clients try to reduce a system and expect it to work i rather walk away than have a under designed system.

2 hours ago, MartinCoetzee said:

I try stay away from wet batteries as the clients dont look after them even with all the training i give.

If clients try to reduce a system and expect it to work i rather walk away than have a under designed system.

Until you meet me. 🙂

Not all clients work against the experts. Some may want wet batteries, start smaller with corners taken ... we have a reason for doing that. 😉 

And we never blame the installer if what he warned us is going to happen, happens. But, then again, I am special. (cwl)

My point, you have problem clients and problem installers. Why the twain never meet, beats me. Always a good client or a good installer taking the fall for the other party being an idiot.