Axpert King 5kVA comms with pylon

NicoM

Good day everyone.

OK so I have heard that the new Axpert King series supports direct comms with the pylontech batteries.

Does anybody have any first hand experience with such a setup ?

Also is there any problem with running them close to the there max rating (lets say around 4.5KW ) ?

@Dex_ Thank you. 

I have read a thew threads on here but most of them are a bit older. I know that pylon has approved the axpert inverters even if there is no comms between the bms and the inverter.

But now i want to know what happens when the pylon shuts off because of fault while the mppt is going fill tilt. I know for a fact that the blue stuff can survive it but will the axpert ? This was something that I believe comms between the bms and inverter was suppose to address or am i thinking of something else ? or has it just not been implemented yet ? 

@Centurionsolar  Thank you for your reply.

Ok so looks like I will be going the icc route as well then. It will be used off grid with no generator back up so it will only really be there to stop over discharge of the pylons.

Now I have to ask what is the use of the bms port on the king and vm iii if it doesn't really do anything ?  or is a firmware fix still on its way ?

Ok that makes sense.

33 minutes ago, Centurionsolar said:

it's just that not many know of it.

Well I have to admit I did not know about that.

But, as stated before, even though this is all pienk en pragtig, the big flaw is still that is uses voltage to switch and not SOC, and so, the status quo remains and you end up needing a pi to take care of that portion for you....

This is the part that I just don't get if you have a bms that can give you a accurate soc and also the needed hardware and firmware to read said soc why not use it ? I would love to know the reason that it has not been implemented. This is the part where my head starts thinking of all the reasons why it has not been changed to work with soc when pylon is selected as the battery type. 

1.  The voltage readings of the axpert is CORRECT (well, very close to it anyway) as long as the battery is above 50V, but the moment it falls below 50V, the internal components of the Axpert measures it exponentially wrong with each 0,1V it drops, to the point that it's off by roughly 3V at 48V.  What this comes down to is that the inverter will measure roughly 45.5V when the battery is ACTUALLY at 48.5V.  The weird thing about all of this is that the inverter only exhibits this behavior while there is grid voltage present, regardless of whether or not you are actually using it.

Now I'm also very curios of what causes this drift in the voltage reading. As a differential adc with a good low pass filter should not have a problem with the 50Hz noise.  

1 hour ago, NicoM said:

As a differential adc with a good low pass filter should not have a problem with the 50Hz noise. 

Now that I read thru this again I just want to point out I'm not saying that's how the axpert measures the dc voltage, just that I have used  such a circuit on a small system that I was using for some testing and I could get the voltage reading pretty much spot on with an arduino and a ads1115 (a 16 bit adc )  while I had an charger on it as well as with a inverter as a load.