Home standby newby

Hi All

I've decided to build myself a home AC standby system - non-solar for now.  I've purchased a Victron Energy Multiplus -II Single Phase 48/3000/35-32 2.4KW Inverter/Charger and I'm now shopping for 4 x 12V +-200Ah  batteries.

The plan is to go just with this for now (no solar).  I have pool pump, 3 fridges, 2 geysers, one of which is supported by a heat pump, electrical oven (gas stove) and we are normally 3 people in the house.  LED lights all round.

The plan is to wire my house such that the only the heat pump geyser and the fridges (all lights and plugs as well) will by supported by the standby system.  The pool pump, other geyser and oven will be at the mercy of Eishcom.

Any comments / suggestions?  (I'm keen to hear where I could get batteries.)

Thanks in advance

Philip

3 hours ago, PhilipL said:

Victron Energy Multiplus -II Single Phase 48/3000/35-32 2.4KW Inverter/Charger

The plan is to wire my house such that the only the heat pump geyser and the fridges (all lights and plugs as well) will by supported by the standby system. 

The heatpump depending on the model might take 1.2kw of the available 2,4kw on its own. Manage the rest of the plug loads well to ensure you dont overload the inverter during power failures. 

4 x 12V +-200Ah 

that will give you 9600wh but depending on the brand only 4800wh usable power. If you max out the inverter capacity, youll only have 2 hours of running time.

(I'm keen to hear where I could get batteries.)

I can quote you on Omnipower 240Ah batteries. Please send me a pm if you are interested. 

Have to agree with @Jaco de Jongh above... Seems like your heat-pump could be the killer here. Although they use less power overall than a geyser element, they still kick-in and use power closer to an Air-conditioner behaviour, including the initial "kick" of power which could trip the max of your 2.4KW invertor load. I would up this slightly to compensate... If you are determined to feed your heat-pump.

KLEVA like cheapie solutions - My thinking is that if you are already going to do some re-wiring, then put your heat-pump on a dual feed: One from your normal DB, and one from your Backup AC feed, with a proper changeover switch inbetween. That way you have a choice about your power drain on your backup, and if you have low power drain then you can switch on the heat-pump - But to do this nicely, you need to monitor your power drain from the invertor and don't forget that you need to know the temperature of your geyser (don't apply more heat if unness)... But that's the KLEVA cheapie way:D. If you have the fortunes, then go for much bigger invertor, and maybe bigger supply power storage (batteries). Maths is your hated friend when it comes to drawing the power you so carefully put into your batteries... It's never equal🤣