Axpert overload error

Clivevan

I have now installed an Axpert 1.5Kva 12v; 2x180AGM's; UPS mode

When it is in battery mode and the kettle is switched on the inverter (quite expectedly) trips. Switch the kettle off and normal operation is restored. So it works perfectly well.

My question - when the Axpert is in in-line mode (ie normal mains supply) the kettle activates a code 7 error flashing "overload".  But that is all. Nothing trips. The water boils and the kettle is switched off and everything carries on normally.  (it is a 1400 watt kettle)

What does this error mean?  Can a 1200 watt inverter handle loads beyond that limit in in-line mode? If not - what will happen if it is forced to do so - ie if I run the kettle regardless the code 7 error?

PS Thanks millions to Coulomb and all other helpfulls for previous patient explanations in another topic.

39 minutes ago, Clivevan said:

when the Axpert is in in-line mode (ie normal mains supply) the kettle activates a code 7 error flashing "overload". 

It's a warning code, not an error code. Quite different. Normal operation continues through a warning; nearly everything stops with a fault / error code.

Can a 1200 watt inverter handle loads beyond that limit in in-line mode?

Yes. I can't find the specification for maximum line mode power. In the 5 kVA models, the transfer relay is rated at 40 A, so about 9.2 kVA, or about 80% more apparent power than the inverter can handle continuously. I imagine that the transfer relay in these smaller models might be rated at a lower current, but I'd guess it's at least 10 A, possibly 20 A or more, so that's 2.3 or 4.6 kVA. So running your kettle like that is no problem, unless you get load shedding in the middle of a boil. In that case you'll probably get an error code 07 (fault code 07, overload timeout). Even then, it might struggle through and boil the water, or you just have to abandon the jug and probably restart the inverter.

Brilliant answer and great news. Thank you.

This means that I can run the entire cottage off the small inverter - any load in excess of 1.2 kw trips the inverter and protects the batteries against rapid discharge.  So if someone accidentally activates a kettle or heater it trips.  But it only requires awareness to switch off the offending appliance. An ignorant user will not accidentally destroy the batteries. The only issue is then to set the minimum SOC so that you don't accidently drain the batteries.

Question - the inverter beeps furiously when the kettle is on (during ordinary mains supplied operations).  

How do I switch off this irritation?