SOL-I-AX-5NB and Pylontech 3000 Compatibility

Nhiwatiwa

I am new to the solar energy environment but have back ground electrical. I am designing an off grid solar system for domestic use. I wanted to use the SOL-I-AX-5NB  and Pylontech 3000 for the system. i have seen some posts with opposing information on compatibility issues. Has anyone used this combination and if so what challenges if any did they come across and how can i solve them. 

1 hour ago, Nhiwatiwa said:

I wanted to use the SOL-I-AX-5NB  and Pylontech 3000 for the system.

As @Masvingo posted, this is the same as the Axpert MKS II. (Those supplier invented model names are so confusing. In fact, my colleague Weber wrote a post on it, and I use it almost daily.)

There isn't a special PyL option for the battery type setting (setting 05) for this model. Indeed, only the Axpert King and Axpert VM III have this capability at present. That means you can't get the inverter to display the correct SOC from the battery BMS, and the inverter won't heed messages from the BMS to reduce charging current.

But that means that the PylonTech will operate just like any other battery. The biggest downside is that IF the BMS has to intervene (say one cell is too hot, or too high or too low in voltage), its only way of intervening is to disconnect. But if the battery modules (one PylonTech module is a bit light for a 5 kW model) are properly balanced, and the cells have had time to balance themselves, this should be rare occurrence.

I've not used either of these (the inverter or battery), so I'll leave it for others to report on their experiences with this combination.

On 2020/02/28 at 6:42 PM, Coulomb said:

As @Masvingo posted, this is the same as the Axpert MKS II. (Those supplier invented model names are so confusing. In fact, my colleague Weber wrote a post on it, and I use it almost daily.)

There isn't a special PyL option for the battery type setting (setting 05) for this model. Indeed, only the Axpert King and Axpert VM III have this capability at present. That means you can't get the inverter to display the correct SOC from the battery BMS, and the inverter won't heed messages from the BMS to reduce charging current.

But that means that the PylonTech will operate just like any other battery. The biggest downside is that IF the BMS has to intervene (say one cell is too hot, or too high or too low in voltage), its only way of intervening is to disconnect. But if the battery modules (one PylonTech module is a bit light for a 5 kW model) are properly balanced, and the cells have had time to balance themselves, this should be rare occurrence.

I've not used either of these (the inverter or battery), so I'll leave it for others to report on their experiences with this combination.

The system will have two pylontech 3000 batteries which will be paralleled. I have seen some posts talking of ICC software for battery monitoring, is this soft ware meant to replace the inverter software. 

On 2020/02/28 at 5:19 PM, Masvingo said:

hello, i think you'll have better look looking up posts using the phrase axpert MKS II. my understanding is that it's the same and is also the PIP-5048MG. i bought the exact same inverter and will be using it for domestic use as well in Zim. 

with which batteries are you using it?

7 hours ago, Nhiwatiwa said:

I have seen some posts talking of ICC software for battery monitoring, is this soft ware meant to replace the inverter software.

No, the firmware is inside the inverter and is essential for very low level functions like controlling the gates of IGBTs, etc. That can never be replaced.

But there is also some higher level software (in the display processor, of all places) which talks to the PylonTech BMS in two recently manufactured models. It seems that ICC might be able to replace that part, or perform that service for models that don't have the PylonTech support built in. At least, that's my present understanding. It's difficult for me to know just what ICC is doing, though I admit I don't try to read the web page.