Axpert 5KVA-PAR-A charger board damaged

Sass

Hello again.

A friend had his inverter fail last weekend and asked me to post a question here. It's an Axpert 5KVA-PAR-A inverter. Everything else works but he traced the fault to a small part on the board. Unfortunately it is impossible to read the number on the part as it is so tint

The board part number is 16-500483-06G-(A)

The item in question is the small black chip in the center of the board photograph MARKED u18. The number I read off it is VTI but we have no idea what this is.

Could anyone assist with what this part is, and/or where to find a new charger board?

Is there a repair manual for this inverter somewhere?

Thanks a lot

40bb5b4d-44fe-40dd-b824-5cd8c7e37505.jpeg

79930024-e4a4-4e22-9ab3-644e2d4ba8f4.jpeg

ac07e94c-6288-4243-a1f3-9e3a4a39f428.jpeg

Edited by Sass
Added a question

16 minutes ago, Sass said:

The item in question is the small black chip in the center of the board photograph MARKED u18. The number I read off it is VTI but we have no idea what this is.

VTI will be the "marking code"; they can't fit a readable part number on SMD chips, so they use these codes.

According to s-manuals.com, the only SOT23-5 part with a marking code starting with VT is this Low DropOut voltage regulator:

http://www.s-manuals.com/pdf/datasheet/r/t/rt9198%2C_rt9198a_richtek.pdf

Unfortunately, the datasheet doesn't give a table of marking codes for the various voltages. 

You might be able to find more convincing matches from other marking code web pages. You should be able to buy a replacement Solar Charge Controller through the company that sold you the inverter-charger. Quote the board number, and the serial number of the inverter-charger (9293...). That's a really old 50 A charger, which they may no longer still manufacture. A few months after that machine was made, they went to 60 A chargers, and a year or so later to 80 A.

Edited by Coulomb
Fixed link to Richtek datasheet.

18 hours ago, Sass said:

Anywhere that I can buy the board in the world as it's not available in RSA?

You could try contacting the Ebay store Maximum Solar and General Goods. They might be able to sell you one.

Failing that, you could ignore the internal Solar Charge Controller and use an external one.