Victron and Pylontech: Internal error alarm

SchalkB

Hi. I have seen this topic pop up a couple of times (here and on the Victron community forum), but I am not finding any answers relating to this recurring issue. So trying again... 🙂

The installation is 2x Victron Multiplus II 3kVa units, connected in parallel. The battery bank consists of 4x Pylontech U2000 2.4kWh modules. No solar array installed, purely backup.

Installation, setup and programming has been done exactly as per https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom.

System functions perfectly except... Every couple of days (according to logs every 3 to 5 days), we receive an audible alarm on the Venus GX. When checking the notification, it reads as

Battery monitor (512) Internal error alarm: Alarm. 

This does not affect the system in any way. When failing the mains for a couple of seconds, then reconnecting, it automatically clears the error. 

I have tried by means of systematic elimination by connecting the module individually, but error re-occurs with any combination of modules connected. I have swapped the "master" battery BMS to different modules, same error.

I have checked the GX logs for any anomalies, but to no avail. 

The final step would be to send all the modules back to suppliers,but this would obviously cause considerable inconvenience. 

Has anybody managed to solve this problem?

Thanks

10 hours ago, SchalkB said:

Battery monitor (512) Internal error alarm: Alarm. 

That alarm comes directly from the BMS of the battery (communicated via CAN-bus). The Venus-GX is just relaying it. The "Battery monitor (512)" bit tells you the source of the alarm. The BMS on a Victron system almost always has deviceinstance=512.

In some cases I've seen internal alarms caused by a cell imbalance, but that was with a different manufacturer (interestingly, this other manufacturer uses the same CAN message for alarms and warnings, so maybe there is something there). The fact that a short disharge stint (failing the mains) resolves it seems to agree with this observation: Cell imbalance.

The pylontech protocol also doesn't have a specific flag for a cell imbalance (batteries that use the more standard 0x35A message do), so that is another reason to think it might be piggy-backing on this alarm.

Selection_487.png.a434c6265bee28b715cf2621070fa2de.png

Cell imbalances should disappear given enough time. The Pylontech balancers can only pass around 50mA... so it might take a really long time.

Just now, SchalkB said:

Thank you @plonkster

You and I have a name in common, and if the B is what I think it is for... then we have more than just the name in common. I of course have three names, inherited from some van der Merwe ancestor... 🙂

23 minutes ago, plonkster said:

You and I have a name in common, and if the B is what I think it is for... then we have more than just the name in common. I of course have three names, inherited from some van der Merwe ancestor... 🙂

B is for my surname, Botes. Not very original nick, I know. But created profile after a very late evening of faultfinding ... 😄.

• 1 year later...

Good day

I have a 10KVA Quattro with 11 x US24000 Pylontech batteries connected with a LV Hub.I keep getting a notification stating 'Pylontech internal failure'
This error appears every minute and I have been out to site 3 times to try and locate the faulty battery but while I'm faultfinding the error disappears and shows up the
next day.This site is 100km away from our head office and it's quite difficult to go out everyday.

The system still functions correctly in all aspects.
I have set the system today to keep batteries charged to see if there is an Imbalance in the batteries.

Any help will be greatly appreciated