Short out my panel(dumb)

Cyon

2 minutes ago, Coulomb said:

Hopefully the inverter was off or isolated at the time, so that should not be an issue.

hahah no. everything was off and not connected.

2 minutes ago, Coulomb said:

You might need a new pair of cutters though 😮

hahha no. 

Why I say, I don't get 135v from the 3 panels but only 118 volts and 330 watts +, 

my panels is 3x 330 panels is in series.

3 minutes ago, Barryv said:

Why I say, I don't get 135v from the 3 panels

I note that 135 V on a King will enforce a 67% maximum power from the solar charge controller (power derating starts at 130 V, and goes to zero at 145 V).

but only 118 volts and 330 watts +, 

Presuming that it would have been around 3:30pm local time (give or take a bit because one time zone in SA isn't optimal for solar calculations), that might be normal; you'd have to check with logs from other days.

It might be worth checking each panel separately.

my panels is 3x 330 panels is in series.

3S of 72-cell panels, into a 145 V absolute max solar charge controller. It's so common, and so wrong. It will bite you eventually. Please consider rewiring for 2S.

5 minutes ago, Coulomb said:

3S of 72-cell panels, into a 145 V absolute max solar charge controller. It's so common, and so wrong. It will bite you eventually. Please consider rewiring for 2S.

I have 4 panel on the roof now. can I connect them in 2 series and then in parallel ?

1 minute ago, Coulomb said:

Yes; 2S2P. You should have rooftop fuses on each string (unless you end up with just the two strings for a long time).

I have fuses in my box but I want to get the fuses for the roof, but they just expensive at mantech

Oh and I don't have them at the right directions as of my roof not pointing north, the side that does point north has to much shadows. 

7 minutes ago, Coulomb said:

Yes; 2S2P. You should have rooftop fuses on each string (unless you end up with just the two strings for a long time).

What is the best setup/layout for my King inverter? we going to get next month more panels.

1 hour ago, Barryv said:

What is the best setup/layout for my King inverter? we going to get next month more panels.

For almost any modern panel, including all 72-cell (and 144 half-cell) panels, it will turn out to be 2S.

For the monster 400+ watt panels with more than 72 cells in series, you have to do the calculations. Rule of thumb: total number of cells in series x 0.7 V should not exceed 145 V (for the 145 V absolute max SCCs, obviously).

For the 60-cell panels, 3S is best, unless they are particularly high voltage panels. Again, for 145 V max SCCs, such as in the Axpert King and Axpert MKS (not MKS II) models.

Total number of panels should be such that the total nominal power is 4500 W or less. A tiny bit over 4500 W might be OK.

4 hours ago, Barryv said:

I had this argument with my original installer as they were insistent that 3 in series would be fine as at 39.4v per panel, this was MAX and it would not be an issue totalling 118.2 as the max on the inverter was 145v.

From this forum... I can confirm, DO NOT go above 115v as the inverter will start limiting and clipping your production resulting in serious wastage, MPPT freezing and potentially inverter / MPPT damage long term.

I initially had 4 panel configured in 2S2P which hit 80v almost every single day (i.e. slightly higher than rated). I have since expanded to 2S6P and still hit 80v almost every 80v during peak times. This config works very very well, great production and seems to be tolerant of partial shading.

I am glad I never listened to the original installer re 3S configure and stuck to my guns re 2S config

Good luck with the expansion

22 minutes ago, Jay-Dee said:

I had this argument with my original installer as they were insistent that 3 in series would be fine as at 39.4v per panel, this was MAX and it would not be an issue totalling 118.2 as the max on the inverter was 145v.

From this forum... I can confirm, DO NOT go above 115v as the inverter will start limiting and clipping your production resulting in serious wastage, MPPT freezing and potentially inverter / MPPT damage long term.

I initially had 4 panel configured in 2S2P which hit 80v almost every single day (i.e. slightly higher than rated). I have since expanded to 2S6P and still hit 80v almost every 80v during peak times. This config works very very well, great production and seems to be tolerant of partial shading.

I am glad I never listened to the original installer re 3S configure and stuck to my guns re 2S config

Good luck with the expansion

What Inverter do you have @Jay-Dee?