Quikswitch and geyser control

Tariq

Thinking of using a Quikswitch WiFi bridge and 30 amp relay, this way I can use my phone to both monitor the Victron remote portal and switch the geyser on and off to utilize any excess solar pv.

Any pro’s/con’s to this idea, am handy at DIY but not computer programming, etc

The QwikSwitch is a very easy a simple product to install and setup. I have retrofitted their stuff to everything in my hours and have kept building over the last 7 years (lights, pool, watering system, geysers, heater panels, etc)

QwikSwitch also have a full Geyser Controller which is similar to the GeyserWise controller (although not as configurable from a temperature vs time perspective).

What I have done on my system is install a QwikSwitch relay to drive a relay in my DB that changes a circuit of plugs from Eskom to Inverter. I had it running in my previous setup for over a year without any issues controlling my pool pump & well point as the seasons changed vs solar generation. I have just re-installed it to remove the heavy kitchen plugs (kettle and the likes) while the geyser is running

Have a look at the last two posts in the following thread - 

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks Jay-Dee, i got the idea from your post and then saw the WiFi bridge and relay.

Vassen , can I set up a Sonoff system that will be able to switch on/off the geyser from my phone, ( while at work ), the aim being to use the idle pv array when the wife is not using the washing /drying appliances

9 hours ago, Tariq said:

Thanks Jay-Dee, i got the idea from your post and then saw the WiFi bridge and relay.

:) Glad to be an inspiration. 

Just an item of note... If you are going to put in a relay to move between Eskom and Inverter... make sure your relay is rated accordingly as if you switch with load, there can be a decent spike

1 hour ago, Tariq said:

Would I be able to use a 2000 ( 8.69 amps ) watt geyser element, or would you advise against it

ok, just saw another post that advises against it

I change my 4kw element to a 2kw element on a Kwik-Kot 200L geyser. No issues at all, works like a charm and as others have posted... I find it more efficient (somehow) than the 4kw element.

Have not seen anyone advise against it... Have a link to the post?

A good reason why you would want to use a relay

I had a 10A QwikSwitch Relay that this has happened to in a minor way with fluorescent tubes with starters over time (pays to read, they specifically advise against fluorescent tubes). 

As mentioned previously, I have their specific geyser controller and they still recommend a relay... If you element is 9A, you startup power or spike can easily go over 30A. Rather be safe than very very sorry

Edited by Jay-Dee