Kodak (Axpert) VMIII Error 69 - any solution yet?

Cassie

My friend experiencing this problem since his system (Kodak VMIII and 2 Pylon's US3000) was installed about 4 mnths ago, and it is very frustrating.

I enquired regarding this issue before and have just searched the forum, but it doesn't look like their is a final solution yet.  Or am I wrong?

Will the application of a Raspberry Pi and ICC be the answer to manage the system and prevent this annoying problem?

6 hours ago, Cassie said:

it doesn't look like their is a final solution yet.

I think the consensus is this:

1) If you have firmware that treats warning 69 as an actual error ("F69" as opposed to "69⚠") then a firmware update will correct this to a mere warning.

2) Warning 69 is normal; it just means that the BMS is telling the inverter to stop charging as the battery is full.

3) If when you get warning 69 the PV production goes to zero despite loads, then this is indeed a problem, and I don't recall if it's been fixed in firmware. I think it's fixed in recent King firmware, but of course VM III firmware is quite different. What is your present main firmware version?

4 hours ago, Coulomb said:

What is your present main firmware version?

hi Coulomb,

This is from a previous post of mine regarding this problem:

Hi Coulomb, I managed to get you the firmware versions.  I took shots of it.  The secondary CPU version is : 00002.40  and the Main CPU version is:  00041.14  and the Secondary Bluetooth version is:  00000.24

I included some photos of the screen (at this post:

IMG_6465.jpeg

IMG_6469.jpeg

IMG_6457.jpeg

On 2020/11/30 at 4:13 PM, Coulomb said:

I don't know of more recent VM III firmware, unless you count 91.20 and 02.60 from the Czech site (last 2 links). Use at your own risk. They look legit to me.

I've  been comparing Axpert VM III main firmwares version 41.08 and 91.20 from the above site, and I'm now convinced that 91.20 is just a slight improvement on 41.08. 98% of the functions have the same length. Of the differences, 90% of those concern a flag set set only in the PSTO command (possibly the BMS saying stop charging?) and two new commands (PBMS and a version of PSTO that sends a Boolean argument, i.e. PSTO1 or PSTO0). So unless you are using the direct cable connection to the BMS and battery type is PyL or one the other ones with BMS support, I don't think you'll see much change compared to 41.08 (though sometimes very small changes have huge effects, and I could have missed such a change).

I have not yet had a chance to study removable display firmware version 02.60. I'd say if you choose to try main firmware version 91.20 (on your Axpert VM III or equivalent only), then you should also update to removable display version 02.60.

Edited by Coulomb

On 2020/11/30 at 7:17 AM, Cassie said:

Hi Coulomb, I managed to get you the firmware versions.  I took shots of it.  The secondary CPU version is : 00002.40  and the Main CPU version is:  00041.14  and the Secondary Bluetooth version is:  00000.24

Hi Coulomb,

Thanks for the feedback.  I remember you asked for the firmware version(s) on my friends inverter.  But I'm not sure about what I supplied you with, because the numbers above doesn't match even close what you are talking in your message (version 41.08 and 91.20).  Or am I reading it wrongly

What I really want to know is if one can manage this "69 warning" on the Kodak VMiii and the Pylontech batteries, with the ICC program on the Raspberry Pi?  Because I think that would be the easiest and safest.  

The Raspberry with the ICC software is really magnificent in managing my 2 old Axpert 5Kva inverters.

14 hours ago, Cassie said:

But I'm not sure about what I supplied you with, because the numbers above doesn't match even close what you are talking in your message (version 41.08 and 91.20).  Or am I reading it wrongly

You have main firmware version 41.14, presumably slightly later than the 41.08 I was comparing against. So if you wanted to try firmware updating, you would use 91.20, which I've determined is a minor change from 41.08, and therefore presumably from 41.11, along with removable display firmware version 02.60 (you are using 02.40). 

14 hours ago, Cassie said:

What I really want to know is if one can manage this "69 warning" on the Kodak VMiii and the Pylontech batteries, with the ICC program on the Raspberry Pi?

It's hard for me to say, I don't use ICC myself, and I don't know what it does. I also don't have a BMS that tells me to use too high a voltage.

Presumably, it would be possible for ICC to read the suggested voltage settings from the BMS, tame them down (e.g. max 52.5 V), and pass the tamed versions on to the inverter somehow. I suspect it already does most of this, with the possible exception of the "taming down" step.