Pylontech / Axpert back to grid voltage

JohanDbn

Hey guys, I went through the forum, and see the suggested back to utility setting is 48V.

I have 2x 3000c's, my question is, with them able to go down to 5% SoC, what percentage is 48V? 

I should be getting my cable from Centurion solar today, to connect to the Pi, and will probably just use the percentages on the app,but shouldn't back to grid voltage be much lower if you do decide to take it down to 5%?

It is practically impossible to assign an SOC value to a particular battery voltage. The actual voltage will depend heavily on the load. At a very light load, 48V could be a very low SOC, while under a heavy load 48V could be a fairly high SOC. So unfortunately if your inverter doesn't support CAN comms with the Pylontech battery then you have to play it safe and use the recommended 48V otherwise you could have a situation where the battery shuts down on low SOC if the load is very light.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there

I also got 2 x u3000 Pylon batteries on the axpert 5000 inverter with ICC software. Getting USB Cable tomorrow . What should i put by

Use Soc Control %

To Grid %  ?

To Solar SBU % ?

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021/01/04 at 5:50 PM, WayneSi said:

Hi there

I also got 2 x u3000 Pylon batteries on the axpert 5000 inverter with ICC software. Getting USB Cable tomorrow . What should i put by

Use Soc Control %

To Grid %  ?

To Solar SBU % ?

Thanks 

I'm using ICC with the cable from the my Pylontech (1 x 3.5kW) to the Raspberry Pi.

My settings in ICC under Settings > Battery:

- Use SOC For control: enabled

- To Grid SOC: 20% (everyone recommends not letting SoC drop below 20)

- To Solar SOC: 24%

- Then I've got Use Time for Control enabled as well. It's set to SBU for most of the day, but SUB between 20:00 and 23:00 so that the battery can recharge to be 100% at 11pm, which in my case will last it through the night until the sun starts shining around 6:00 or 7:00. 

I've had to put my Back to Grid voltage on the Axpert to 44V since otherwise the initial current draw when switching on a heating appliance like a kettle or washing machine would cause the Axpert to immediately jump back to grid, even though the drop below 48V is just for a fraction of a second. 44V keeps it on Solar/Battery even when switching on a kettle.

Setting Back to grid this low *does* mean that if the Raspberry fails for some reason and doesn't tell the inverter to switch to grid when SoC reported by the Pylontech drops below 20%, the voltage drop of the battery below 48V won't trigger it either (since that's now set to 44V), and eventually the battery and inverter will switch off leaving the house without power. This has unfortunately happened once or twice. Hit the red button on the Pylontech to start it up again, then switch the Axpert to grid as soon as you can and figure out why the Raspberry failed.

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 12.53.15.png

Note that enabling Use Time for Control disables the button to manually switch to Grid or Solar/Battery in ICC. But that feature is nearly useless anyway since the Axpert will refuse to switch if it's already switched once in the past 10-15 minutes (awful design decision in these units).

On 2021/01/15 at 8:55 PM, SolarFrans said:

But that feature is nearly useless anyway since the Axpert will refuse to switch if it's already switched once in the past 10-15 minutes (awful design decision in these units).

That minimum time in line mode is 2 minutes when running fully patched firmware. 10 for factory firmware.