Registration of solar systems.

Bobster.

This gets mentioned here from time to time: they want us to register our panels. 

I'm concerned about this because I don't want to end up in a situation where some official is telling me I'm breaking the law and a fine is due. 

I googled. Registration of panels does seem to be a thing in Cape Town. The City are saying that this preempts pending national regulations, but are those pending or have been applied in other areas? 

I asked our Councillor a when I got mine installed (mid 2019). The Councillor was unaware of any requirements and could see nothing in the COJ regulations. The installer never mentioned any paper work that I'd have to do with the City.

City Power came knocking on my door to check what was going on after I hadn't fed the meter for several months and they now know I have a solar system. They didn't say a word about it. 

So is this a thing, or just the media revving us up a bit? 

Edited by Bobster
Clarity

Nearly 30 years ago, there was a big hype about registering boreholes, fire and brimstone and imminent woe if you didn't.

I was about to have mine dug at the time, so I phoned in. Without getting my name, I was told that I may be expected to provide water for any surrounding rural community.

I said fine, what were they willing to subsidize my costs, they said not a cent.

We left it at that.

I didn't register, and nothing happened, I am not sure anything would have happened if I had.

But I'd as soon as not be on a database somewhere.

I think the same principle applies.

Edited by phil.g00

47 minutes ago, phil.g00 said:

I didn't register, and nothing happened, I am not sure anything would have happened if I had.

But I'd as soon as not be on a database somewhere.

I think the same principle applies.

Except that it's much easier to find out who has solar panels because you have these big things on your roof and aerial photos will detect them. You can see mine on google maps, which isn't particularly high definition, and they do look different from solar heating for swimming pools. COCT have certainly talked about doing this with drones. In fact they could target a property if their IT systems pick up a drop in consumption. 

I suspect that if they find unregistered panels, and if registration is, as they said, free if done within so many months, they will assume that because you haven't informed them then you are up to something and they will want to take a look. My own experience with COJ confirms that they do look for drops in amount paid (even with pre-paid meters) and do investigate if the drop is big enough for long enough. 

On 2021/05/15 at 2:38 PM, phil.g00 said:

If you feel intimidated, go ahead and comply.

I am just saying my stance would be, unless it's a law, they can huff'n puff and then go swivel.

Well this is what I'm getting at: is there a law? It seems in COCT there is, but elsewhere? 

Your choice.
My choice: The ANC do not owe the sun. Bye.
But then I'm the "dwarstrekker" (non-compliant) type.

Get a jab, buy long sleeved tops, closed shoes, wear your mask, pay your tax, dont smoke, dont drink, pay your vat, pay your road use, pay, pay, pay....
Its just not stopping. They going to tax as soon for usage of the sun and CO2.

In the future, if they ever going to introduce carbon points, and give me discount for having solar, I will register.
But if its a trick to squeeze more money out of me, then tsek!

Edited by Guss Davey

This is the COCT bylaw.  I am not a lawyer but it seems that if they supply you with a service they can get access to inspect that service. It also say they can seek information from you. I do not see this as a blanket right to invade your right to privacy, but limited to the provision of their service.

However, my non-legal opinion after reading this is:

It would be a stretch to interpret this bylaw to mean that COCT authorities can demand off-grid registration legally. Sure they can inspect their connection to ensure it's off-grid and they could ask you if you are connected to the grid. After that though, the details are not their business, no more than they could compel you to register if you were HIV+. It is a private matter that does not affect them.

In fact, I would argue that is illegal under some or other information/privacy act for authorities to compile a database of people for things that have nothing to do with them.

Electricity Supply By-law.pdf