New Fridge/Cooling Technology

Sidewinder

Hi All,

Saw this and wondered how long before we get this in SA. Anybody aware of this? If it is -+25% more efficient that A+++ fridges, then maybe worth a wait and cost.

http://www.achahome.com/refrigerator-fridges-in-india.html#linear-comp

Edited by Sidewinder
Added "+" @ -25%, otherwise it means the opposite!

Reviews on Amazon and Facebook suggests they still have teething problems, and they cannot be repaired outside of dealer network. For now I think your best bet remains the A++ models. Each additional + adds another 10%, but as you can probably well see, 10% of an ever-decreasing number means diminishing returns... often for double the money.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, this technology have been available in SA for many years already. All the camping fridges and freezers like Snowmaster, Engel, ARB, etc use this variable speed compressor. (Please note I am not talking about the 3-way gas/electric stuff here).

I personally use one 60 liter Snowmaster as a fridge, and a 40 liter as a freezer at my home. With both running they only consume like 90W. We camp a lot and over the years I bought the fridges second hand or on special, and we used them for camping. The plus point is that my wife cannot buy a lot of meat that will end up getting freezer burn, and in the end go to the dogs.

If she wants to make some dish and need meat that is not in the fridge, then I just stop at the butcher on my way home and fetch it, so its really not a big deal after you make the mind shift that you don't really need a 300 liter freezer.

I also have a old retired 40 liter Engel that we use when we have friends over, and want to keep some drinks cold. It takes 4 sixpacks and 2 2 liters with ease.

At my previous house, when we still had the large fridge and freezers, I also found that we tended to keep thousands of Rands of meat and stuff in them, and it does tie up a lot of money. 

Look, for us this is working well. It may not be for someone else.

Snowmaster do make large stand-up fridges as well, the best is to contact your nearest Caravan shop to find out more.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018/03/14 at 6:35 AM, Carlo1973 said:

Well, this technology have been available in SA for many years already. All the camping fridges and freezers like Snowmaster, Engel, ARB, etc use this variable speed compressor. (Please note I am not talking about the 3-way gas/electric stuff here).

I personally use one 60 liter Snowmaster as a fridge, and a 40 liter as a freezer at my home. With both running they only consume like 90W. We camp a lot and over the years I bought the fridges second hand or on special, and we used them for camping. The plus point is that my wife cannot buy a lot of meat that will end up getting freezer burn, and in the end go to the dogs.

If she wants to make some dish and need meat that is not in the fridge, then I just stop at the butcher on my way home and fetch it, so its really not a big deal after you make the mind shift that you don't really need a 300 liter freezer.

I also have a old retired 40 liter Engel that we use when we have friends over, and want to keep some drinks cold. It takes 4 sixpacks and 2 2 liters with ease.

At my previous house, when we still had the large fridge and freezers, I also found that we tended to keep thousands of Rands of meat and stuff in them, and it does tie up a lot of money. 

Look, for us this is working well. It may not be for someone else.

Snowmaster do make large stand-up fridges as well, the best is to contact your nearest Caravan shop to find out more.

Yes, camp fridges are very economical to run, but very expensive and too small for the average home use. I used to run a camp fridge off a battery and solar panel for a long time but it simply got too small for our use