Recommended Generator for an Inverter (SunSynk 8.8)

Moose

I installed Turner Morris 13kVa (0.8 power factor) run-silent petrol generator 18 months ago and finally made the "upgrade" to a SunSynk 8kVa inverter with a Freedom Won 10 battery and 12 x 450w panels to find out the generator will not work.

The issue came in when I tried to plug the generator into the inverter which kept on tripping. The installer showed me that the generator was not pushing out 50Hz but seemed to be between 46Hz and 52Hz which was out of spec from what the inverter could accept. Long story short, my generator will NOT work and will need to be replaced.

Now the big question - what to  replace it with? My requirements are summarised below:

• Actual output needed is a minimum of 8.8Kva but could be a bit bigger
  • Petrol or Diesel but must be a "run quiet" version with a maximum of 80db as I live in a complex
  • Auto start not a requirement
  • Single Phase
  • It MUST push out a “clean” 50Hz so as I understand it, it needs to be an "inverter-generator" which is why my existing generator is not working.

Can anyone recommend a good product with decent parts / backup / warranty etc. in Johannesburg?

Guest Sarel

Suggest you review a few things and maybe do some simple tests to prove or disprove this. You inverter may have some settings to support a generator on the input, or a means to make it accept wider tolerances for voltage and frequency. It may also be possible to current limit the generator input.

A simple test would be to load the gennie with say a hair dryer directly on itself before switching in the inverter. Also try and limit the inverter load wattage to some lower value like 1 or 2kW when switching over. Dont know if any of this will help for the gennie or you inverter, ymmv.

4 hours ago, Moose said:

I installed Turner Morris 13kVa (0.8 power factor) run-silent petrol generator 18 months ago and finally made the "upgrade" to a SunSynk 8kVa inverter with a Freedom Won 10 battery and 12 x 450w panels to find out the generator will not work.

The issue came in when I tried to plug the generator into the inverter which kept on tripping. The installer showed me that the generator was not pushing out 50Hz but seemed to be between 46Hz and 52Hz which was out of spec from what the inverter could accept. Long story short, my generator will NOT work and will need to be replaced.

Now the big question - what to  replace it with? My requirements are summarised below:

• Actual output needed is a minimum of 8.8Kva but could be a bit bigger
  • Petrol or Diesel but must be a "run quiet" version with a maximum of 80db as I live in a complex
  • Auto start not a requirement
  • Single Phase
  • It MUST push out a “clean” 50Hz so as I understand it, it needs to be an "inverter-generator" which is why my existing generator is not working.

Can anyone recommend a good product with decent parts / backup / warranty etc. in Johannesburg?

Bundu Power's 6Kw silent diesel works a treat. Has auto-start as well - a direct plug in. The petrol gennys will ALWAYS alter their frequency as the load changes.

https://www.bundupower.co.za/gen-diesel-single.php?mod=BP6500S

Edited by PaulinNorthcliff

• 2 months later...