Battery charging current

Trevor

Good day,

I need advice on battery charging.

I have installed a IDS alarm panel for a client. The client requested that I replace the 7Amp/h battery with a 33Amp/h.(due to load shedding).

My question is two fold:

Will the built in charger not burn out due to over current or will it just take for ever to charge the 33Amp/h battery(700mAmp as to 3.3Amps)?

2 hours ago, Trevor said:

Good day,

I need advice on battery charging.

I have installed a IDS alarm panel for a client. The client requested that I replace the 7Amp/h battery with a 33Amp/h.(due to load shedding).

My question is two fold:

Will the built in charger not burn out due to over current or will it just take for ever to charge the 33Amp/h battery(700mAmp as to 3.3Amps)?

Sherlo makes a battery backup that you can add to the alarm also, probably the most accepted way of doing this. 

power supply 12vdc 3.2a - Sherlotronics

Larger one 

power supply 12vdc 6.4a - Sherlotronics

Edited by Basil Katakuzinos

Hi Basil

Thank you for your response. I am aware of the Sherlo products. But clients always have a “clever friend” who says just put in a bigger battery. I would like to know what the consequence will be if you just stick in a larger battery.

51 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Hi Basil

Thank you for your response. I am aware of the Sherlo products. But clients always have a “clever friend” who says just put in a bigger battery. I would like to know what the consequence will be if you just stick in a larger battery.

My guess, it just wont charge fully(as it will just take even longer and not charge between consecutive load shedding). Doubt you will do any damage but dont take my word on it.

Edited by Basil Katakuzinos

the way I do it ... I leave the 7 amp/hr and only connect the the keypads/hyyp/xwave/receiver to the bus that way the battery will last a lot longer. 

I then get an 18 amp/hr sherlo power supply with battery complete and connect all the pheripheral devices ... PIR/beams/ etc to the sherlo  power supply ... I also connect the 12 VDC router to the sherlo power supply. 

Just be careful of ground loops ... when powering  bus devices from a separate supply ... make sure you use a loop isolator.

By the way dont connect a huge battery to the panel battery terminals ... it would be fine if the battery is fully charged at the time of install ... however if we go into stage 4 load shedding and the battery voltages starts to drop I believe you could experiences problems ... an x64 panel gets pretty warm without any additional loads. 

I think sherlo has a 3.5 and 6.4 amp power supply with an 18 amp/hr battery 

What I have heard some people do (but I have never done it)... fit a relay.

The panel will run using the 7 amp/hr battery and when the power switches off ... the relays swops power to the big battery ... then once the power is back on ... the relay will switch back to the 7 amp/hr and the big battery will recharge using a different charge. 

I looked into a lithium battery replacement .. .but when I asked about the charging cycles etc ... the supplier couldnt give me any details just that he had one at home for his gate ... when you spending over R1000 for a little battery which you can buy a lead acid one for R150 and just keep replacing every 2-3 years ... I want for details. 

12 minutes ago, isetech said:

I looked into a lithium battery replacement .. .but when I asked about the charging cycles etc ... the supplier couldnt give me any details just that he had one at home for his gate ... when you spending over R1000 for a little battery which you can buy a lead acid one for R150 and just keep replacing every 2-3 years ... I want for details. 

Changing my geyser battery out for a bluenova lithium, ill give you all an update on that once its done.

• 1 year later...

Good day, I have a 12V 8AH alarm battery and a SHERLOTRONIC 6.4 AMP POWER supply unit, just for the alarm. Now, 5 months later, the battery is once again flat (previous one lasted 4.5 months without extra power supply). Is this possible? Is the SHERLOTRONIC 6.4 AMP POWER not supposed to keep battery charged for longer? 

6 hours ago, JNel said:

Good day, I have a 12V 8AH alarm battery and a SHERLOTRONIC 6.4 AMP POWER supply unit, just for the alarm. Now, 5 months later, the battery is once again flat (previous one lasted 4.5 months without extra power supply). Is this possible? Is the SHERLOTRONIC 6.4 AMP POWER not supposed to keep battery charged for longer? 

Yes this can happen. Your power supply might be at a lower voltage than what the battery needs to fully charge. Further it might not have enough time between LS cycles. This is our current real world. For standby use a lead acid should be charged at 13.6 to 13.8V. To get it fully charged when cycling due to LS it might need a good charge to about 14.6V for short periods to prevent gassing. This is where a intelligent charger is a must. 

• 1 month later...
On 2021/11/15 at 8:42 PM, isetech said:

By the way dont connect a huge battery to the panel battery terminals ... it would be fine if the battery is fully charged at the time of install ... however if we go into stage 4 load shedding and the battery voltages starts to drop I believe you could experiences problems ... an x64 panel gets pretty warm without any additional loads. 

I think sherlo has a 3.5 and 6.4 amp power supply with an 18 amp/hr battery 

What I have heard some people do (but I have never done it)... fit a relay.

The panel will run using the 7 amp/hr battery and when the power switches off ... the relays swops power to the big battery ... then once the power is back on ... the relay will switch back to the 7 amp/hr and the big battery will recharge using a different charge. 

But if the panel charges at 300mA or what ever, a bigger battery will still just draw 300mA, but just take longer to charge? So instead of 1 hour it maybe takes 3 hours.  the heat should not be more for a bigger battery or am I missing something?