Starting a new system from scratch

1 hour ago, Johandup said:

I don’t have a certificate like this and do not intend to get one.

If you need to get one anyway, just have it CoC'ed afterwards. There is one possible problem you'll have to deal with: Your present installation might not be compliant. As long as your installer knows what he is doing, he might be able to rectify some faults (if any) for you and then the issue remains the same: A qualified electrician needs to write you a CoC afterwards.

1 hour ago, Johandup said:

What is a reasonable fee for a single installation - the ones I am getting is very high for a few hours work.

I paid around 6k just to have the DB split. I've seen installers charge around 5k for the "documentation fee", which is basically all the work that goes into certifying things afterwards and completing SSEG paperwork (if any), which again is probably reasonable given that you need a registered professional engineer to do some of that work. So I'm not quite sure if this is reasonable and how much you're being quoted... but I do recall that I was also a little shocked.

Chris can answer this better, but I'm sure a number somewhere between 10k and 20k for a residential system is probably ballpark. I wouldn't know... I did way too much work myself.

2 hours ago, Johandup said:

Hi GVC,

Who did the installation for you if I may ask?

Did you find the Acdc quality acceptable?

I need to replace mine with 2 x 18 way ones.

Did you split your db into a high and low amperage?

I did most of the installation and my brother in law did all the wire connecting. He owns his own electrical company so he also issued a COC. I can give you contact details if you want.

The ACDC quality is not of the best, but so far I have had no problems.

I think the special is on 12 way boards.

I put the Stove, Geyser and aircon on one board and all my plugs and lights on the second one. The second board also has a changeover switch to bypass the inverter. 

2 hours ago, GVC said:

I did most of the installation and my brother in law did all the wire connecting. He owns his own electrical company so he also issued a COC. I can give you contact details if you want.

I think the special is on 12 way boards.

I put the Stove, Geyser and aircon on one board and all my plugs and lights on the second one. The second board also has a changeover switch to bypass the inverter. 

Hi GVC,

I'll appreciate his details.

Currently waiting for quotes.

I am anxious to get up and running.

I'm on whatsapp no 0829458760.

Regards

7 hours ago, GVC said:

They sell varying quality of equipment. The Gewiss stuff they sell is top notch and expensive. The ACDC branded breakers are often rubbish. I also sort-of like Hager breakers and ACDC don't sell them. Luckily, where I live, you have a choice between 4 different places (Frontline, ACDC, Voltex and Cronlec) so you usually get the stuff you need.