New hubble am2 with sunsynk 5.5

Dani

I've finally purchased and installed a new hubble am2 to put next to my old one from 2021.

Noticed a few things the rated capacity is now 6000Wh which is awesome.

The new battery is the master and installed closest to the inverter. The old battery is second with the dipswitch set as such. 

The cable lengths are even. 

My sunsynk is set to lithium and it's talking nicely to the inverter. 

The new manual from hubble requires the battery to go to 100% at least every five days to balance the cells. 

I was thinking to use the equalization setting in my sunsyynk 5.5. 

Will this work? Does this setting override the communication cable and lithium setting? 

Finally what concerns me is the different stickers on the sides of the batteries. (float and equalization). 

Please help 🙏🙏

20230421_070722.jpg

20230421_070714.jpg

Just curious what month in 2021 your old AM-2 was manufactured. 
My AM-2 is Jun '21 and that has different specs again from the two labels you posted.
Did you take your old one for a Firmware update? I have not seen the need as I am not paralleling with a later version, but it seems that if you get the latest Firmware that it should then update the bulk and float voltages.

image.thumb.png.66eadb624fc5a1581bdfcec0141298bc.png 

I have 3 x AM2s that I bought in February, rated capacity 115Ah.

One of the online suppliers told me that while all these models are compatible, you should however make the newer model (Rev2) the Master battery in your setup. 

AM2 Hubble 115Ah.jpg

Edited by BTTB

1 hour ago, Dani said:

The new battery is the master and installed closest to the inverter. The old battery is second with the dipswitch set as such. 

Sorry, just spotted that you have the new battery set as Master.

I think the BMS overrides all. 

1 hour ago, BTTB said:

I think the BMS overrides all

I have noticed that the battery charge setting on the sunsynk does limit the amps drawn to charge the battery.

Wondering if the other charge settings also have an impact.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Dani
to add image from hubble webpage

16 minutes ago, Dani said:

I have noticed that the battery charge setting on the sunsynk does limit the amps drawn to charge the battery.

Wondering if the other charge settings also have an impact.

Sorry can't help, other than state that my Axpert Inverter is charging my 3 AM2 at 30 Amps, 10 Amps each basically.

If you have 2 batteries in your case, each battery is charging at 20Amps when set at 40Amps, maybe drop it to 30Amps, thus 15 Amps each. I'm under the impression that the lower the charge rate, the longer the battery life?

When my Inverter was first setup I only had 2 AM2 batteries and the Electrician set it at 30A, when I added the 3rd battery we left it at 30Amps. Takes longer to charge but hopefully battery life will be extended.

I suppose it all depends on the Loadshedding Levels, if we have continuous 4-hourly periods under Stage 6 or above, then you'd have to push it.

What is the Max Amp Charge rate for the AM2?

24 minutes ago, BTTB said:

Sorry can't help, other than state that my Axpert Inverter is charging my 3 AM2 at 30 Amps, 10 Amps each basically.

If you have 2 batteries in your case, each battery is charging at 20Amps when set at 40Amps, maybe drop it to 30Amps, thus 15 Amps each. I'm under the impression that the lower the charge rate, the longer the battery life?

When my Inverter was first setup I only had 2 AM2 batteries and the Electrician set it at 30A, when I added the 3rd battery we left it at 30Amps. Takes longer to charge but hopefully battery life will be extended.

I suppose it all depends on the Loadshedding Levels, if we have continuous 4-hourly periods under Stage 6 or above, then you'd have to push it.

What is the Max Amp Charge rate for the AM2?

For sure you will extend life. Don't you think before say 15years you would buy newer tech perhaps like sodium? It seems they will be cheaper. 

10A per battery is a very low charge rate. 

18 minutes ago, Scorp007 said:

For sure you will extend life. Don't you think before say 15years you would buy newer tech perhaps like sodium? It seems they will be cheaper. 

10A per battery is a very low charge rate. 

Agreed, within a couple of years there'll be newer better technology that supersedes Lithium Ion.

There is also the COCT's requirement that for a Standby SSEG System where your maximum allowed charging rate is 25% of your "service connection circuit breaker". Somebody that wires DB Boards and knows more can possibly explain better. 

Standby and Off Grid installations.pdf

15 minutes ago, BTTB said:

There is also the COCT's requirement that for a Standby SSEG System where your maximum allowed charging rate is 25% of your "service connection circuit breaker". Somebody that wires DB Boards and knows more can possibly explain better. 

What that means is if your house has a 60A supply you can charge your batteries with 15A. So 15A x 230V =3,45Kw that you can charge your batteries with from the grid(legally). 

This is not enforceable IMO . Not sure how they will be able to police it if you want to charge with higher rates ...

I have seen installers set charging to 8kw on larger battery banks.  

1 hour ago, BTTB said:

Agreed, within a couple of years there'll be newer better technology that supersedes Lithium Ion.

Standby and Off Grid installations.pdf 313.51 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for pointing this out. 

I might be wrong but I see the 25% of service supply relating to this but at 230V AC not the battery charge rate which is between 4-5 times higher. If is was 12V then 20 times. 

If battery is charged at say 40A the 230V side would only provide 230/54=4.25 times less current at just over 10-11A allowing for a PF. 

Edited by Scorp007

44 minutes ago, BTTB said:

@Dani

image.thumb.png.4cf0cac33b3347887a95a9c9db2ae8b6.png

You have 2 x AM-2 and a 5kW SunSynk and 4.8kWp panels
Batt Charge Panel:
The 40A is when charging from gen.
The 50A is when charging from grid.
If you have a N-E bond with an ATS connected, remember to select "Signal ISLAND MODE"
Note that the grid charge is at ~48V DC, so 50A*48V= ~2.4kW
South African Grid is ~230V AC, so 2.4kW is ~10.5A - see @BTTB comment about 25%

Batt Type:
I would use 100A Charge/Discharge
100A * 48V = ~4.8kW
I think the BMS overrides this.
Activate is to revive a dead battery

Shutdown Panel:
I use 5,7,10% - which may be a bit low for some users.
This is also dependent on the settings in System Mode 1 - I use 20%, which means the inverter will will discharge to 20%, then use grid.
If you at 20% and there is load shedding, then continue down to 5% and shutdown.
The 20% -> 5% happens very rearly.
image.png.676255e96cd78d67ecaf4dcd3ccd366d.png

Perhaps try 10,15,20 and 40% in System Mode which means the inverter will will discharge to 40%, then use grid.
If you at 40% and there is load shedding, then continue down to 10% and shutdown.
You need to select values appropriate for your usage.

Edited by system32

Some feedback from Hubble.

I must update both firmwares

Bulk and float should be 53.8v

Cut off 44v

Charge at 30a per battery (weird)

Fast charge when needed at 50a per battery

Discharge 100a per battery (not relevant for me because the ss5.5 is capped at 125a)

Cut off at 20% (which feels high to me)

8 hours ago, Dani said:

Cut off 44v

Discharge 100a per battery (not relevant for me because the ss5.5 is capped at 125a)

The AM 2 is NMC, 20 % SOC is the recommended cut off point. LFP on the other hand can generally be taken down a lot lower than that.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2023/04/21 at 1:36 PM, Dani said:

Cut off 44v

I have recently had a system installed with 4 of the new AM2s, and had the same question. Unfortunately came across your post late, but glad it is not just me - as I also noticed the discrepancy between the label on the side of the batteries and both the hubble website and the ver2.0 manual, which both specify the 53.8V values.

However, in contrast to you, when I contacted hubble, their technical support advised me that I should be using 52.8V for both the float and bulk values. I have asked them to confirm, and they confirm these values.

If this is true, then it also means that the BMS is wrong as it happily charges the batteries to 53.8V.

It blows my mind that there is such a difference in the information provided for a product where you are constantly told how it is important it is to enter the correct values for batteries otherwise you can damage them and reduce their lifespan.