Goodwe ES: PV panels and batteries

Niel

Wow.. Just when I thought I had my mind set on the correct inverter of choice I happen upon this thread.. Haha.. Yet again I'm torn between V and G. I'm a big fan of the ESS solution and wanted to go V initially , but the external mppt made my look elsewhere, since it doesn't fall in my budget of 30kish. The G seemed like the way to go but now I'm concerned about battery performance health and performance in the long term. 

• 6 months later...

Good day Gents. I have a question for experts here, about Goodwe EM or ES. I can't find any info somewhere else except this forum. Planning to buy one but heard that unit doesn't use solar power when loads are under 150W in hybrid mode. I have 100 watts running 24 per 7 and will be bad if above is true. Another question, is it possible to use only back-up line in same mode like Axpert does, perhaps use solar and battery and when voltage on battery dropped then switch to grid?  Thank you in advance.

• 4 months later...

Firstly i do apologize i have no electrical knowledge and would really appreciate your help and guidance. 

I have a 60 Amp breaker in my house and would like to install the Goodwe 4.6Kw Hybrid inverter.

• If i do this will it be approved by COCT?
  • Cant the electrician just upgrade the breaker to an 80 Amp Breaker?
  • What is a good price for the Goodwe 4.6KW Hybrid Inverter?

For my battery backup im  looking at adding 3 Pylontech 2.4kwh batteries.

• Is it best to start of with two 3.5KW batteries 
  • Can i add 3.5KW batteries to a 2.4KW battery bank later if i want to upgrade?
  • What is a good price for the 2.4KW batteries and or the 3.5KW

I will also connect 12 x 360W Canadian Solar PolyPERC's. 

• How many Solar Panels can i connect based on the 4,6 Inverter and the battery bank
  • How does the 360W Canadian Solar PolyPerc panels compare to other makes / sizes taking price and value into consideration
  • What is a good price for Solar Panels?

Taking all the above into account i would like to upgrade the system in 2 years time by adding additional batteries and panels

Your comments will be greatly appreciated. 

• 3 months later...
On 2018/09/10 at 5:13 PM, Niel said:

Hi
We have a Goodwe ES 4.6kW hybrid inverter which has been (and is still) working perfectly for 3 years.    I’m looking to make some changes to the set-up but have a few questions.  I don’t work in the industry myself but am very curious how these things work, so please assume a very basic level of understanding.  Of course I’ll get a professional to make any changes.

1. Currently we have two 1.8kW panel arrays, one facing north east and one north west, linked in parallel and feeding PV1 on the inverter.  I want to increase the one array to 2.4 kW while maintaining the size of the other array (in short, I only have space to add panels to the one, not the other).  Now I understand this is likely to create complications with the overall voltage.  Would it possible to connect one array to PV1 and the other to PV2 and would there be any problems if the one array produces a different voltage to the other?
  2. I had lead acid batteries installed initially in the hope that more sophisticated batteries would become cheaper.  The batteries are only for short term back-up in the event of power outages.  We are not looking to go off grid (yet).  The lead acids are now kaput and I need to consider replacing them.  I’d appreciate it if other Goodwe users can share their battery set-ups and experience.  

Thanks in advance.

Niel

Hi There,

I am a newbie, and have a similar question / ask to that of Niel's above ... My current system is  Goodwe 5048 ES with 2 arrays of 5 x Canadian Solar 330 w panels each, with 3 x 2.4kwh Pylontech batteries as the power store. Installed this in end 2018, and have been pretty impressed.

I am looking at scaling this system, by the addition of a further 5 x 360 w panels. Any references for installers interested in this kind of 'small' installation in the Johannesburg area ? 

Also my current panels are Poly,  I see there are some good deals to be had on other brand Mono panels ... Is it possible or dangerous to mix both Poly and Mono panels in an array ? 

Goodwe.jpg

Circuit Breaker.jpg