Svolt Battery

Lendl

Hi All

I see many business sell the Svolts batteries, how good are they. I am a total dummy on these stuff. Just hear about C1 rating and everything.

What rating is the Svolt 48v 5kw battery. I cannot seem to get the rating anywhere. For me the specs looks pretty much like a hubble and the other top brands but am not sure, tho difference is in the price though. Is it to good to be true?

also is it strong enough to power a kettle and washing machine together for example? 

There are some specs to be found on this combo package deal. Whether these spec are in fact correct remains a mystery.
What they do state though is that their cycle life is based on 0,2C which for a LiFePO4 is way below the norm.

• Cycle Life (0.2C, 25°C @ 80% Depth of Discharge): 6000 Cycles

https://nova-craft.co.za/product/lux-power-5kw-48v-solar-inverter-and-svolt-48v-106ah-5-09-kwh-lithium-battery-combo/

Perhaps give electromann a call and see if they can check the manufacturers datasheet.
https://electromannsa.co.za/product/svolt-5-09kwh-48v-106ah-lithium-battery/

@PsyCLown has these batteries. Perhaps he can enlighten us to what the official datasheet contains.

Edited by zsde

So these Svolt batteries are 1C rated and they can handle around that - with a single battery connected to my Inverter it limits the discharge to 95A and I have tested the one battery and ran a load of over 4KW and the battery handled it fine.

A kettle uses around 2200W and a washing machine? I doubt more than 2000W so I am sure you will be able to run both at the same time off one of these 48v / 51.2v Svolt batteries.

With the cycle life of 6000 cycles at 0.2C with a DoD of 80%, well, there are soo many variables and that does not say that the cells won't last longer or fail before then.

I take it as a rough guideline, truth be told we likely won't really know how these cells do long time until a few years time... Once again lots of variables, my garage gets pretty warm in summer so chances are my cells may be exposed to higher temps than someone elses.

I also have 3x batteries so even when I am running say a 6KW load it is not that heavy as the load gets split between all 3 batteries compared to someone who has a single battery and regularly runs a heavier load of over 4KW.

I also charge at a low rate and once again it gets split between the 3 batteries so this should in theory help prolong the life of the cells a bit compared to charging each battery at 90A.

So far no real issues with my batteries, I am enjoying them and would purchase more if need be. I believe Svolt will be releasing a 280AH battery and this intrigues me as I would not be able to easily fit additional batteries on my wall - it will create a problem for me in terms of the wiring, these larger 280AH batteries may be a good solution to this issue I have.

@PsyCLown So how long does your batteries take to fully charge? Apparently that's also how you can rate the Battery, I may be wrong but if it takes an hour its a 1C etc.

So what does the 0.2C actually mean because to me that states the C rating and if it is its not very good then. 

27 minutes ago, Lendl said:

So what does the 0.2C actually mean because to me that states the C rating and if it is its not very good then. 

Most lithium chemistry batteries optimal charge/discharge rate is 0.2c if you read the specs on the batteries carefully you will see it mentioned. If your battery manual has charge discharge curves then you will see there too the 0.2c mentioned. Most of those tests are always shown using 0.2c as the optimal point.

9 minutes ago, WannabeSolarSparky said:

Most lithium chemistry batteries optimal charge/discharge rate is 0.2c if you read the specs on the batteries carefully you will see it mentioned. If your battery manual has charge discharge curves then you will see there too the 0.2c mentioned. Most of those tests are always shown using 0.2c as the optimal point.

So the 0.2C has nothing to do with the C rating of the battery?

The c-rating you may be referring to is more to do with the bms capability than the battery itself.
Most batteries can easily discharge at 1C or even more if the BMS allows it.

But general rule is to try avoiding 1c charge/discharging as that affects the longevity of the cells.

Optimal point for most batteries will always be 0.2c or below.

13 hours ago, Lendl said:

@PsyCLown So how long does your batteries take to fully charge? Apparently that's also how you can rate the Battery, I may be wrong but if it takes an hour its a 1C etc.

As explained below by @WannabeSolarSparky The 0.2C rating you see here is the optimal charge / discharge rate to prolong the life of the battery.

I have 3x batteries and each inverter provides 30A of charging, so a total of 60A of charging to the batteries. That means it is basically 20A per battery when charging from AC which is far from the maximum the batteries can handle (They can handle 95A based on what I see on my inverter - the BMS sending this info through to the inverter).

So my batteries won't charge in an hour as I have not set them up for maximum charging current.

EDIT: Here you can see the total current limit as set by the 3x batteries in parallel

image.png.76b63188fa2b5b7a3c6ad772e946fdbc.png

285A / 3 = 95A charge / discharge per battery which is actually slightly under the 1C rating but this can be adjusted via the BMS if one were to have the password.

I feel 95A is close enough to 1C rating. 51.2v * 95A = 4864W per battery.

Edited by PsyCLown

4 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

As explained below by @WannabeSolarSparky The 0.2C rating you see here is the optimal charge / discharge rate to prolong the life of the battery.

I have 3x batteries and each inverter provides 30A of charging, so a total of 60A of charging to the batteries. That means it is basically 20A per battery when charging from AC which is far from the maximum the batteries can handle (They can handle 95A based on what I see on my inverter - the BMS sending this info through to the inverter).

So my batteries won't charge in an hour as I have not set them up for maximum charging current.

I bought the SVolt 5.09 KW 15 cell version to replace a 2.4 KW battery which wasn't meeting my needs. Pretty impressed with the brand except one or two minor niggles.

I have set mine to USER2 mode( GROWATT ES 5000) because under LI mode, the voltages are a bit higher than recommended, which triggered OVP warnings on the BMS.

• 6 months later...

Hi Everyone so I got a luxpower SNA5000 and Svolt battery for about 6months now, everything works well.

Today we had a planned power outage from 8-16:00. at 13:10 my battery was at 72% and then it just shut off my electricity. The inverter and battery was still powered but nothing on the DB box. when electricity came back on the battery came back.

Any advise what could be the problem. I'm a dummy with these stuff. 

On 2023/10/17 at 7:50 PM, WannabeSolarSparky said:

Most batteries can easily discharge at 1C or even more if the BMS allows it.

Actual specs of a cylindrical cell. 

3C-5C discharge rate. 

IMG_20240502_192616.thumb.jpg.4937ba3c4e7c9a5e16072be2f2f2767e.jpg