Thoughts on solar installation quote provided - responses appreciated!

Hey all

So I am doing a bit of research around reputable solar installers and came across this quote. To protect this legit business I will not share the company's name, but it's more around how reasonable the pricing is, these days. I have compared some of the fixed items pricing so that's not the issue (eg the inverter, batteries). But there is some potential on saving around the consumables and accessories which I don't have much knowledge on yet.  I have decided on going the Sunsynk 8KW route, with either Sunsynk or BSL batteries with it. 

Quote as follows (Prices inc. VAT), [not including the inverter and batteries because it is easier getting online quotes on these to compare.]

a) Solar panel Longi (550W) - 2.3K each (These prices should have come down, thoughts on brand and pricing?)
b) Installation - 16.5K
c) Consumables (AC/DC, wiring, etc) - 16K
d) Aluminum mounting system for panels: 10K 

So in summary these costs (Installation, consumables and mount) form about 30% of the entire quote. Is this the going rate? 

Thanks!

You will need to provide some more detail on the entire quote. As the number of panels that are required as well as number of batteries and such affect the total price. Most installers price increases with each panel added. You can check comparisons online with solar advice/hohm energy/alumo energy to get a relative idea.

But from my research 2300 for a 550watt panel are in the ball park of good to decent pricing. Longi is one of the best brands you can get, so no worries there.

For the rest as i said we need to know more detail

16 minutes ago, Monkness said:

Consumables (AC/DC, wiring, etc) - 16K

What exactly is specified uder consumables. Could you blank out the company name and forward us the actual quote.

19 minutes ago, Monkness said:

Installation - 16.5K

How big is the solar array

18 minutes ago, Monkness said:

Aluminum mounting system for panels: 10K

For how many panels ?

On 2023/12/03 at 8:07 PM, TaliaB said:

If that quote is for 14 panels with coastal aluminum mounting system it would be spot on.

On 2023/12/03 at 7:46 PM, Eugenevz said:

You will need to provide some more detail on the entire quote. As the number of panels that are required as well as number of batteries and such affect the total price. Most installers price increases with each panel added. You can check comparisons online with solar advice/hohm energy/alumo energy to get a relative idea.

But from my research 2300 for a 550watt panel are in the ball park of good to decent pricing. Longi is one of the best brands you can get, so no worries there.

For the rest as i said we need to know more detail

Thanks all.

Some more details:

- 10 panels of 550W Longi

- 2X BSL Batteries of 5.1KWh each

- Consumables include (as per quote): AC Protection with changeover and SPD, DC protection, Cabling, Trunking and Earthing - 16K

- Mounting system is defined as the Lumax Aluminium Mounting system - 10K
- Installation, materials and travelling (16.5K)

Edited by Monkness

So yes that is that companies quote, get others and try compare from there. One companies overhead is different to others.

Also make sure they are electrical contractors or sub the electrical work to an electrical sub contractor properly registered.

Second is will this company answer your call when you have a question. If they too cheap then probably not and you on your own.

Also to cheap means cheap products and shortcuts.

Sure there is a market rate to a tune but each company has their own requirements.

So I agree ask these questions to find out and figure out what is what but I do recommend more quotes with apples vs apples.

For example my call out fee is more than the "general" and it's for reasons. To start my car is a lot compared to the average "general" sparky.

Also quick own,getting your own material vs. the company is also tricky.

Same as saying well I can get a burger patty and buns cheaper at Woolies than if I get at a restaurant. 

At a restaurant it's made for you, if you get it, you make it and the experience of it getting made for you is nice. 

Some solar guys may appreciate that you get the stock but then it has to just work and be thought out. :)

Also the line item pricing may be out of tune as that is where they building there profit and costs to company in. 

21 minutes ago, Monkness said:

Mounting system is defined as the Lumax Aluminium Mounting system - 10K

Just by judging on the solar mounts they use this company knows their business. I have used these mounts before, they are a very reputable business in Corporate Park North, Midrand.

25 minutes ago, Monkness said:

Consumables include (as per quote): AC Protection with changeover and SPD, DC protection, Cabling, Trunking and Earthing - 16K

Definitely reasonable price.

27 minutes ago, Monkness said:

Installation, materials and travelling (16.5K)

That is basically labour cost also within reason.

With the information you supplied i can't see the reason not to go with this installer.

2 minutes ago, TaliaB said:

Just by judging on the solar mounts they use this company knows their business. I have used these mounts before, they are a very reputable business in Corporate Park North, Midrand.

Definitely reasonable price.

That is basically labour cost also within reason.

With the information you supplied i can't see the reason not to go with this installer.

Thanks for this. 

2 other checks, they are accredited as a Sunsynk Master Installer, and have the PV Greencard as well.

On 2023/12/03 at 7:26 PM, Monkness said:

Hey all

So I am doing a bit of research around reputable solar installers and came across this quote. To protect this legit business I will not share the company's name, but it's more around how reasonable the pricing is, these days. I have compared some of the fixed items pricing so that's not the issue (eg the inverter, batteries). But there is some potential on saving around the consumables and accessories which I don't have much knowledge on yet.  I have decided on going the Sunsynk 8KW route, with either Sunsynk or BSL batteries with it. 

Quote as follows (Prices inc. VAT), [not including the inverter and batteries because it is easier getting online quotes on these to compare.]

a) Solar panel Longi (550W) - 2.3K each (These prices should have come down, thoughts on brand and pricing?)
b) Installation - 16.5K
c) Consumables (AC/DC, wiring, etc) - 16K
d) Aluminum mounting system for panels: 10K 

So in summary these costs (Installation, consumables and mount) form about 30% of the entire quote. Is this the going rate? 

Thanks!

Just ensure that for the Inverter you choose to purchase you do so from a recognised Reseller to ensure you get your warranty and that this installer is also an Authorised Installer for the same brand, otherwise, given all the other comments I've seen and my own estimation, I'd say go for it. If they have a website, and there's some way of getting information about them from installations they have done, it would be a good thing to also do, so you are able to see how responsive they are in the event of an issue with a battery or inverter or whatever you would require.