ICC - RiPi

Padwan

Hi, 

Attempting to use ICC software for monitoring and configuriton of Axpert[5KVA]/Pylontech[UB2000] rig.

I've got latest ICC image and Rapsbarry Pi connected with usb cable to Axpert, but ICC startup script  just loops with following error:

[FORMS.PP] ExceptionOccurred 
  Sender=EAccessViolation
  Exception=Access violation
  Stack trace:
  $00607034
  $0063A534
  $00048590
Exception at 00607034: EAccessViolation:
Access violation.

I guess for the time beeing i better RTFM on the image,  see if there are any trobolshooting notes. 

2 hours ago, Padwan said:

but ICC startup script  just loops with following error:

Hi Padvan

Did you sent your machine code to ICC so they can activate your copy of ICC. ICC is not freeware and I remember that Violation error message in the beginning , but that was solved after I paid for it. 

Not sure if its the same in your case. I am no longer using ICC so I am not up to date with the latest development. 

You can Ask them for a trail key Here.

5 hours ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

Not sure if its the same in your case. I am no longer using ICC so I am not up to date with the latest development. 

Out of interest, what did you move onto? Perhaps one should look around at the alternatives. Not really sure how I feel about my current experience with ICC.

I paid for software, got to download, installed their image, and got error message. They where engaging and quick with correspondence, but Im bit puzzled with response of here is refund to your original purchase if you want this to work buy full kit and than we can help you.

1 minute ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

I am under the impression that even with full kit, you should still send your machine code to them to have it activated. Please just inquire at the supplier. 

Who did you buy the full kit from?

Well I would oblige with mashing code if application showed what needs to be done .  On top the sales person did not reallly offer or ask for the mashing code ether.

i bought it via icc website 

9 hours ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

Sorry Padwan, i dont see complete kits on the ICC website, you didnt maybe bought it from Centurion Solar or someone else. 

Oh I see the confusion, yes you are correct. My order was placed via iccsftware.co.za, but i see that my invoice reads Centurion Solar.

Also all the correspondence that ensued was from Centurion Solar representative. And links with suggested kit where pointing back to them.

https://centurionsolar.co.za/shop/pylontech-cable/
https://centurionsolar.co.za/shop/icc-pi-kit/

9 hours ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

I am still convinced you should just send them your machine code and they should be able to sort you out. 

I woudl if they actually offerd that, person talking to me literally siad " .... and the time spent trying to troubleshoot it is often worth more than the license itself.   It's for that reason that our kits are a bit more expensive than doing it all yourself, as it comes with support as well, whereas the license only version is left completely to the ability of the nd user to get it working. "

Perhaps Im having a missunderstanding moment with them.

]I have never had any problems with ICC-Pi and have been using it since its predessor AICC. Purchase either ICC Pi V2 for $60 or ICC MQTT & Pi for $76. I use the latter as my Pi is at the inverters in my ground floor garage and I use a Windows 10 PC on my first floor office to monitor the Pi with MQTT which gives you the nice graphic on the ICC shop. That is the lower of the 2 graphics for the combination package. Then download the free Sticher app to flash the image into your SD card. Place it in your Pi and after entering the activation code, all should be well. Ask Manie, the developer, for a demo code first to make sure you have everything going properly and then purchase the permanent code or codes if you buy the combination. Also check that the ICC app has read, write and execute permissions and is executable. You need a bit of Linux knowledge for that but it only requires using the file manager and checking the permissions with that. ICC and MQTT is in my view essential if you want to run Axpert inverters efficiently. For proper accuracy of voltage and SOC readings you would need to connect a Victron BMV700 or BMV702 to the Pi. The BMV702 is better as it has a midpoint read facility. Also downloadthe free RealVNC viewer to access the Pi display and control it from your mobile phone, tablet or computer. I use Gargoyle free firmware in my ADSL router and can access and control the Pi from anywhere on earth where I have an Internet connection. Good luck but ask if you still have problems.

Thx for your input @ebrsa.

Pretty much followed all the steps you described, apart from asking for a demo code. 

I've read all good reviews and thought phukit ill just buy the licence and figure the rest out. I particularly liked the addition of cable and support/integration for Pylontech, alas i cant even get the basic app running. 

Ill give it anohter try, perhpas @manie is looriking arround here and can assist?

19 minutes ago, Padwan said:

invoice reads Centurion Solar.

In this case I am sure Johan will sort you out quickly. Although ICC was something that was started on this forum, this forum does not offer support on this product. Sadly Manie left the forum some time ago, and I only know of John and Manie offering support. I can only make recommendations but I am not really in the position to offer support. 

Sorry Padvan, but the best will be to contact their support system.

Edit: 

Please PM me your Machine code, I will for ask Manie if your machine is registered. 

4 minutes ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

Please PM me your Machine code, I will for ask Manie if your machine is registered. 

So here is the thing, the ICC software does not start, only sdisplays the aobove error, so where does one get this machine code ?

Only refferences to this code, that I could find  in the manual are showing this in context of running ICC app. Am I missing osmething ?

Seriously, that error to me sounds like a software error. The "violation" isn't a legal one (ie related to the license), it is a hardware one (ie you stepped on the wrong bit of memory). It may well be related to the licensing code... but I'd say the supplier should release a bugfix for it, catch that exception and print a more legible error message.

I'm not sure what ICC uses for machine identification these days, but in the early days it used the serial number. The serial number is passed to the Linux kernel by the bootloader as a command line parameter... and you can override it by simply adding the right bit of text to cmdline.txt. If this was a different industry... someone would have done it by now :-)

3 hours ago, Padwan said:

box of Pi's

The newer stuff with the dtb (device tree) support can look completely different (from the software side) merely because you're running a newer version of Linux, so it might be something as simple as using a very new board (eg Rpi 3B needs a different dtb to previous ones) with a new Linux kernel. You may well find that it works on the old one.

4 minutes ago, plonkster said:

The newer stuff with the dtb (device tree) support can look completely different (from the software side) merely because you're running a newer version of Linux, so it might be something as simple as using a very new board (eg Rpi 3B needs a different dtb to previous ones) with a new Linux kernel. You may well find that it works on the old one.

this could very well be related, I've tried two older B+ Pi both filed same way with ICC and interestingly one other software,  and the image is the ICC latest so I'm guessing latest Debian stretch ... 

Edited by Padwan

On 2018/12/15 at 2:05 PM, Padwan said:

Hi, 

Attempting to use ICC software for monitoring and configuriton of Axpert[5KVA]/Pylontech[UB2000] rig.

I've got latest ICC image and Rapsbarry Pi connected with usb cable to Axpert, but ICC startup script  just loops with following error:

[FORMS.PP] ExceptionOccurred 
  Sender=EAccessViolation
  Exception=Access violation
  Stack trace:
  $00607034
  $0063A534
  $00048590
Exception at 00607034: EAccessViolation:
Access violation.

I guess for the time beeing i better RTFM on the image,  see if there are any trobolshooting notes. 

That sounds like either a memory card error, or something else. Run "strace ICC" (or, probably sudo strace ICC) to see what it spits out.