Do you prefer 5kwh*2pcs or 10kwh *1pcs battery and why?

Joshua G

I'm of the same mine as Kibim, though it must be taken into account that 2x5kWh is usually more expensive than 1x10kWh and definitely more complicated. You're paying for 2 BMS rather than one, for a start, and there is more wiring involved and the BMS must be connected together.

It depends on the situation.

I went for multiple smaller batteries initially as it was more flexible and allowed me to add batteries over time based on my budget that is what was available and at the time it suited my need, I am now in a situation where space is becoming a problem and I would like to add more battery capacity so now I would need to look at replacing them for multiple larger batteries.

It's unfortunate that Svolt do not offer their 280ah batteries in SA otherwise I'd likely look at replacing my current batteries with those.

Another thing to consider is charge & discharge current, although this can differ a lot depending on which battery but I have seen 150Ah batteries with the same 100A charge / discharge limit compared to your typical 100Ah battery.

18 hours ago, Kibim said:

Why have one, when for the same price you can have 2?

reliability. One fails in a 2 battery setup, you can still limp along. 1 battery, 1 failure and you're dead in the water. 

Agree. Redundancy safety in case of failure of one unit.

I was considering getting a 2nd 5kv axpert King inverter to run in parallel but after looking at pricing, additional expense for the wiring etc

and to also have the space for a 2nd unit.

For similar money i chose to rather go to a larger 15kv unit instead to replace the 5kv.

At end of the day its what suits the pocket for most.