Floodlight wiring in the roof

QuintonB

Hi anyone,I’m new to the forum and am obviously looking for advice. I want to install 4 floodlights on the outerwalls of my house (just under the eaves) -  can I run the 4 cables in the roof to connect to a plug box in the roof? The plug box was installed by an electrician many years ago to connect to a light socket in the roof. If yes - must the cables run through pvc pipes / trunking or just tacked to the rafters?

TIA

2 hours ago, QuintonB said:

Hi anyone,I’m new to the forum and am obviously looking for advice. I want to install 4 floodlights on the outerwalls of my house (just under the eaves) -  can I run the 4 cables in the roof to connect to a plug box in the roof? The plug box was installed by an electrician many years ago to connect to a light socket in the roof. If yes - must the cables run through pvc pipes / trunking or just tacked to the rafters?

TIA

You can use twin and earth or round surfix but not from a plug socket. 

Both the cables Scorp007 mentioned can either be clipped direct to rafters or run inside conduit. Some brands of surfix and flat twin & earth cables are rated as UV stable but not all so if you want to clip it outside in view of the sun check the manufacturers data sheet to see if it's UV stable.

This is what the regs says regarding luminaries.

In a lighting circuit, a luminaire that is in a false ceiling or in a
roof space 4 m above the floor where there is no ceiling, or in a floor
cavity, or in a wall cavity, or in a similar position, may be fed from a
socket-outlet which may be unswitched and not protected by earth
leakage protection, provided that the socket-outlet
b) supplies one luminaire only, not exceeding the rating of the socket outlet⁹

Edited by TaliaB