Jump to content

Electric vehicle batteries for backup


Noobie

Recommended Posts

Has anyone looked at using second hand electric vehicle batteries (tesla) to power their inverters.

There seems to be a lot of this in the US but not much happening here.

I know our market for EV's is small but could you not import a used EV battery pack at a reasonable price?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use quite a few Leaf packs into Victron kit. Like most things with Tesla branding, their ex vehicle batterys are very expensive, and mechanically, and electrically somewhat awkward to reconfigure into nominally 48v packs. Leaf and Volt packs are rather more easy to obtain, and far easier on the wallet.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sean said:

I use quite a few Leaf packs into Victron kit. Like most things with Tesla branding, their ex vehicle batterys are very expensive, and mechanically, and electrically somewhat awkward to reconfigure into nominally 48v packs. Leaf and Volt packs are rather more easy to obtain, and far easier on the wallet.

 

Where did you get your hands on these leaf and volt battery packs?

Would be interested to see what the cost would be once shipping to South Africa and customs is included  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Noobie said:

Where did you get your hands on these leaf and volt battery packs?

Would be interested to see what the cost would be once shipping to South Africa and customs is included  

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm in Orkney, the Scotish island that self produces 120% of its annual electricity requirements. Entire packs are readily available on the mainland. There are a number of large vehicle breakers here that may well be prepared to quote for shipping, but the legality and logistics of sending a used Li battery, removed for an accident damaged vehicle may well be problematic.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sean said:

the legality and logistics of sending a used Li battery, removed for an accident damaged vehicle may well be problematic. 

If you discharge it to about half or less, and ship it by sea, it can be done. But you will pay for shipping and then also VAT on this side. Thankfully no other custom charges. Also remember to pick the item up as soon as possible as it attracts "dangerous goods" storage expenses after a day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...