Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason
Sign in to follow this  
Gerlach

60/150 MPPT question.

Question

Quick question for the guys that now there way around this question.  Bought last week a Microcare 60 amp MPPT to run on my MLT powerstar inverter.. Busy doing the layout for the solar panels and connection to the fuse box and all the stuff that go's with this.

My question is, must I run 3S/3P or must I go for 2s/5p?

The MPPT max watts is 3000 watt on 48v battery connection "i'm running 48v battery setup" and max 150v.

The solar panels specs is 325w Pmax , 45.5v VOC and 9.34A Isc.

So if I run 3S/3P "gives me 9 panels" then I will get 2925w, 136.5v and 28.02Amps. With this I will run 3 sets of cable to the fuse box. 

And if i run 2S/5P "gives me 10 panels" then I will get 3250w, 91v and 46.70Amps. With this setup I will max out the watts that will go to waste. will be running 5 sets of cable.

Lost of watts and volts and amps must be taken in to calculations.  

Ek luister by die radio.

Thanks ;) 

8 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

I would go this way. Less hardware, less amps, thinner wires between combiner and inverter and you are below your max voltage. 

Thanks @Jaco de Jongh. I was think this way to, just needed someone to point me in that direction.  Then I can run 6mm cable sets from the panels to the combiner box and like you say, less amps and hardware and stuff. Already made up the 25mm2 cable between the inverter and mppt. The MLT uses welder quick fittings to connect the MPPT to the inverter. CP1025.jpg

Edited by Gerlach

6 minutes ago, Gerlach said:

Then I can run 6mm cable sets from the panels to the combiner box

Remember they come with 4 mm wires, so a series  connected string can be completed with the 4 mm for 28 meter before the voltdrop goes over 3%.

NB: Worked out on the specs you supplied above. 

1 minute ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

Remember they come with 4 mm wires, so a series  connected string can be completed with the 4 mm for 28 meter before the voltdrop goes over 3%.

Ek sal daai in gedagte hou. Net die afstand meet hoe ver my verste punt is. Dankie vir daai inligting. :)

6 hours ago, Gerlach said:

Ek sal daai in gedagte hou. Net die afstand meet hoe ver my verste punt is. Dankie vir daai inligting. :)

Dit word ook aanbeveel om al die strings se drade ewe lank te hou om die sisteem gebalanseerd te hou.

11 hours ago, Jaco Venter said:

Dit word ook aanbeveel om al die strings se drade ewe lank te hou om die sisteem gebalanseerd te hou.

Dankie @Jaco Venter dit maak nogals sin daai ook. ek sal n bietjie dop hou en elke string toets wanneer hulle op is.