mecer sol-i-ax-5m setup

lukas.strydom

Hi i need some help please.

i have an mecer sol-i-ax-5m Inverter 5Kva with a US2000 Pylontech Li-Ion 2.4KW battery with 6 355W canadian solar pannels.

The problem i have is that the inverter doesn't charge the battery  until i switch the battery off and on again. When i switch the battery on then it charge without any problem. it seems that the MPPT on the inverter thinks that the battery is full and doest charge the battery.

Thanks

14 hours ago, lukas.strydom said:

i have an mecer sol-i-ax-5m Inverter 5Kva

Unfortunately, there seem to be two models with this number. Does it have the heatsink on top? Or is it recently purchased?

Alternatively, what is the version of your firmware (U1)?

The problem i have is that the inverter doesn't charge the battery  until i switch the battery off and on again. When i switch the battery on then it charge without any problem. it seems that the MPPT on the inverter thinks that the battery is full and doest charge the battery.

I think we need to see your charge-related settings.

It could be the premature charge bugs, but it doesn't sound like it.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, lukas.strydom said:

Hi my firmware is U1 74 20

Well, I've not heard of this problem. But I note that in the ~20 months since your machine was manufactured, the firmware for this model of inverter-charger has advanced to 74.40, which is usually 2 fairly significant changes (minor updates would have been called 71.21, 71.22).

So as a desperation measure, it might be worth updating to 74.40, which happens to be available from this post. Firmware update insertions here (ignore the files there, just use the procedure).

Or you could sit tight and wait for patched firmware version 74.40e, with all the other fixes, bells, and whistles. But that might be a couple of weeks off yet; Weber and I just started on this recently.

8 hours ago, lukas.strydom said:

Charge settings is : ...

Max charging 60

That's too high for a single PylonTech 2.4 kWh. They like to be charged (and discharged) at a maximum of C/2, which is only about 25 A. So you should use 20 or perhaps 30 A for setting 02 (Maximum charging current). You really should be running 2-4 PylonTechs in parallel, so that you can get more of the available power from your inverter (each 2.4 kWh PylonTech prefers a maximum of about 1200 W load). If you run two, you can use 50 A maximum total charge current (25 A per battery).

This could be your problem, although it seems unlikely. The inverter starts charging at up to 60 A, although your panels will only allow some 40 A under ideal conditions and perhaps 30 A most of the time) and some time after 25 A the battery disconnects because of the over-charging. The Solar Charge Controller notices that the battery can't take any charge current, and shuts off. Though I'd expect the inverter to also have a fit if that happens.

Please also report settings 26 and 27 (bulk/absorb and float voltage settings).

• 3 years later...

The settings depend on many factors: your battery, your preferences, etc. If one size fitted all, then they would be preset at the factory.

To help you, we need to know these details:
* What exact battery model, how many modules, etc.

* What exact inverter model, is is a Mecer SOL-I-AX-5M as per the thread title?

* What are your preferences: minimise utility usage (if you have utility at all), maximise battery charge for load shedding, other preferences?