Newbie from Benoni - Grid to Solar

Hi all

Newbie here, found the forum by chance when reading up on Solar. Looking at converting my existing system off the grid to solar, like most of us 😁

Running a Axpert inverter charger HBS-2 Ser 9223 1412 1004 63 with two Narada 12v Batteries In series 6GFM170F. Canadian and Trina are importing great solar panels so very keen to learn from this platform. 

Kind regards,

Ewald

15 hours ago, Ewald said:

Newbie here,

Welcome. 

Looking at converting my existing system off the grid to solar, like most of us 😁

So you are using the inverter as a UPS at present, and want to add solar panels?

Running a Axpert inverter charger HBS-2 Ser 9223 1412 1004 63

Could that be a typo, starts with 9233, not 9223?

Is this a model with a 600 W or 1500 W solar charger? If the former, it will be a quite small system.

Edited by Coulomb

17 hours ago, Coulomb said:

Welcome. 

So you are using the inverter as a UPS at present, and want to add solar panels?

Could that be a typo, starts with 9233, not 9223?

Is this a model with a 600 W or 1500 W solar charger? If the former, it will be a quite small system.

Indeed sir, let me upload some pics I might be reading it wrong.

Thank you for both the welcomes.

On 2020/01/01 at 10:23 PM, Ewald said:

Think I got it right now, happy days 🙂

Yes, the images display fine now.

It is indeed a 9223 model series, which I've not heard of before. It looks like it's a genuine Voltronic Power inverter; the clones didn't start till late 2015.

That sticker is very minimalist! At least it has the most important specification: the colour is black and silver 😠. Minor details like maximum solar charge power were left off to save money on a larger sticker and associated ink costs 🤔.

I can't seem to find any information on this inverter. Where did you buy it from?

I don't know the 24 V models well, but there is a good chance that you can just hook up pairs of panels to the PV input terminals, and start charging your battery from solar. But it would be good to know what Voltronic Power model it is exactly, so that you don't blow up the solar charger.

Did a paper manual come with the inverter? If so, can you post some information about the solar charger please? From the "specifications" section near the end.

Edit: this image seems hopeful; I can't find the original post (must have moved since the Google spider crawled it):

IMG_20190525_071606.jpg

It suggests (but it's not definite) that your inverter model, also a 9223 model series, has the 60 A Solar Charge Controller (SCC). That's about as big as they come in the 24 V models.

Edited by Coulomb

@CoulombGood Evening Coulomb,

I need some help with three 5KVA Inverters I bought locally.

It appears the firmware on them is 52.30, I am having floating charging issues and i'm sure its due to the bug as I read here with the SOC DOD Values not being calculated properly.

If you make any changes to the voltage settings the system become less efficient and only gives me about 25% of capacity. I have 3 x 5KVA Inverters with 24 x 105 Ah Batteries connected to them, each of the inverters with 8 Batteries connected as 48V DC. So there is 2 x 105aH Batteries connected in Parallel and then 4 of these sets in series per inverter.

• 4 weeks later...

Good Evening Coulomb,

Hi. Sorry, I somehow missed your post.

It appears the firmware on them is 52.30, I am having floating charging issues and i'm sure its due to the bug as I read here with the SOC DOD Values not being calculated properly.

I'd guess that the issue is the premature float bugs. You could fix this by flashing the inverters with patched firmware version 73.00e. [ Edit: you will want the LC (Lead aCid) flavour of the patched firmware, not the LF version, which is for LFP chemistry only. ]

If you make any changes to the voltage settings the system become less efficient and only gives me about 25% of capacity.

I don't follow. Certainly if you change setting 29, you change where the "zero" (actually 2%) SOC point is, so that will change the reported state of charge.

I have 3 x 5KVA Inverters with 24 x 105 Ah Batteries connected to them, each of the inverters with 8 Batteries connected as 48V DC. So there is 2 x 105aH Batteries connected in Parallel and then 4 of these sets in series per inverter.

Are these inverters paralleled, or used as a 3-phase set? If so, you must use the same battery for all of them. So parallel all three strings of battery modules to a pair of busbars, and connect all three inverters to those busbars. If however the systems are separate (3 separate loads), then obviously they need a battery (set of 8 battery modules) each.

Edited by Coulomb