New system installation for house hold

Good day,

I am sure this question been asked about thousand times, but try my best to look up whats out there on the forum.

I would like to install solar system, to run my household during the day, and have a small backup system during power failures.

I am already on solar Geysors, gas stove, all my lights are LED, I just had a look at my electricity bill for last year, we use average of 17kw per day.

Been monitoring my loads during the year, looks about .7kw/hr that’s idling no dishwasher, owen, microwave and stove ect., we use a booster pump for water pressure, and swimming pool pump comes on at night between 20:00 - 22:00.

What I’ve been reading about the Victron units sounds good as you can add on.

But I am new, still learning all terms and lingo.
What would you gentlemen suggest? I was think grid-tie, using backup battery at night, and non-essentials with solar and Eskom, and essentials solar and if demand if higher on cloudy days, with help from Eskom.

Regards

Morne 

3 hours ago, Morne van der Merwe said:

Good day,

I am sure this question been asked about thousand times, but try my best to look up whats out there on the forum.

I would like to install solar system, to run my household during the day, and have a small backup system during power failures.

I am already on solar Geysors, gas stove, all my lights are LED, I just had a look at my electricity bill for last year, we use average of 17kw per day.

Been monitoring my loads during the year, looks about .7kw/hr that’s idling no dishwasher, owen, microwave and stove ect., we use a booster pump for water pressure, and swimming pool pump comes on at night between 20:00 - 22:00.

But I am new, still learning all terms and lingo.
What would you gentlemen suggest? I was think grid-tie, using backup battery at night, and non-essentials with solar and Eskom, and essentials solar and if demand if higher on cloudy days, with help from Eskom.

Regards

Morne 

I like what i see here, you have done all the preparation any person who wants to go solar should do before they pull the trigger. 

To get you basically offgrid should be quite easy. 

10 hours ago, Morne van der Merwe said:

Just a gentle correction: I assume you mean you're using an average of 17 kWh energy per day. If your average usage is 17 kW of power over 24 hours, that's 408 kWh per day.

Again, that would be 0.7 kWh/h, or 0.7 kW of power. 0.7 kW x 24 hours = 16.8 kWh of energy. But I would expect that to be your average, including spikes of power for the higher power appliances. So I would expect your idle power, with none of the high power appliances on, to be much less, perhaps 200-300 W.

They're certainly good if you can afford them.

What would you gentlemen suggest? I was think grid-tie ...

It's quite a decision. A lot of people end up going the "off-grid" (but still grid connected) with an Axpert inverter-charger, simply because they are relatively inexpensive. But with that comes questions of reliability, niggling and sometimes serious problems, and a general lack of support from the manufacturer and/or supplier.

9 hours ago, Coulomb said:

Just a gentle correction: I assume you mean you're using an average of 17 kWh energy per day. If your average usage is 17 kW of power over 24 hours, that's 408 kWh per day.

Again, that would be 0.7 kWh/h, or 0.7 kW of power. 0.7 kW x 24 hours = 16.8 kWh of energy. But I would expect that to be your average, including spikes of power for the higher power appliances. So I would expect your idle power, with none of the high power appliances on, to be much less, perhaps 200-300 W.

They're certainly good if you can afford them.

It's quite a decision. A lot of people end up going the "off-grid" (but still grid connected) with an Axpert inverter-charger, simply because they are relatively inexpensive. But with that comes questions of reliability, niggling and sometimes serious problems, and a general lack of support from the manufacturer and/or supplier.

Morning, yes thank you for correction. I just went add my all the units I used for the last 12 months, got average. Also been monitoring with Enerfy energy monitor, and very close what I paid for. Been in contact with Jaco de Jongh, he will come around have look at usage. Yes I would like setup the solar right from the beginning.