Online Prices vs Installer Prices

8 minutes ago, PJJ said:

I think the only area where solar really is financially viable as a cost saving measure is big grid tie systems with no backup.

But for Storage + PV I know my back of the envelope math puts its around R2.8 per kWh over the lifetime of the plant.

So should you ever have to pay a constant price over R2.8 kWh then its financially viable from day one. (Financing costs dependent of course)

But I think most of us on here don't even lie to ourselves, the financial savings are a bonus, the real reward is in the security of supply that we have.

Well, storage is certainly not financially sensible for most, but for the convenience factor might be. That said, I have seen proposed tariffs exceeding R6/kWh for TOU slots - that changes things.

For most, grid-tied can have pay-back in the order of 7 years, even less depending on your tariff.

2 minutes ago, P1000 said:

That said, I have seen proposed tariffs exceeding R6/kWh for TOU slots - that changes things.

Yes, at R6/kWh it really would be a very easy decision. 

I would actually not mind a TOU tariff, it would send the right market signals to end users that electricity is scare at certain periods of the day and abundant in others, this would allow for a much better use of resources I think.

6 hours ago, daniemare said:

I would rather see

1) Equipment quoted at competitive pricing

2) Installation cost (with markup off course)

3) Support cost with T&C of support. 
Then you know what you have paid for and what you can expect

Exactly this.
If installers think they are providing value for what they provide then fine, put that value on the quote and charge for it - nobody is suggesting they shouldn't make a profit.
Placing huge markups on things like batteries instead is shady behaviour or comes across as shady behaviour, even if you can justify the end price with "well I have to handle future callouts" or whatever other reasoning - put it on the quote/invoice then.

And don't justify this with "the building industry does it" - its just as shady when they do it, and they too should stop.