Goodwe Inverter + 1 x Pylontech US2000

David Norton

I have a Goodwe Inverter GW5048D-ES and 1 x Pylontech US2000.

The inverter is in Backup mode as I have not yet added solar to the inverter. 

I am aware that the battery is only able to deliver 25A to the inverter, and if my calculations are correct, this equates to approximately 1200W. 

We had the first set of load shedding last night and the batteries supplied the backup load for about 5 minutes before shutting off. The load on the backup was about 600W at the time. I had to log into the inverter and put it in off-grid mode to start up again. It then ran the backup load for about 45 minutes before shutting off again. The battery was about 70% at the time.

What would cause the backup side of the inverter to switch off? Unfortunately when the backup goes off, it appears the whole inverter restarts as only the WiFi and battery lights are flashing. I then need to log into the Wifi to get the system to start up again.

What are my options? Do I have something set incorrectly?

There are a 2 fridges and a freezer connected to the Goodwe. I can disconnect them tonight and try it again.

I also have a TV which is connected to a UPS and the UPS to the Goodwe. Should I remove the UPS from the system completely as this might draw extra power if trying to change the battery?

1 hour ago, David Norton said:

I also have a TV which is connected to a UPS and the UPS to the Goodwe. Should I remove the UPS from the system completely as this might draw extra power if trying to change the battery?

Either have the UPS on grid power which can then support the tv during loadshedding (if the batteries are big enough) or remove the ups and drive the tv direct from the goodwe circuit.

If the UPS batteries are fully charged before loadshedding then it should not make a huge difference in power usage but if it is charging batteries and supplying power to the TV it can make a difference.

Any other appliances running during loadshedding?

Edited by Pietpower

I removed the 2 UPS's protecting my TV and WiFi and I was able to last for 2 hours last night.

I have another slightly more technical question.

When I had the Axpert type inverter, the neutral of the output was attached to the earth. This is not the case with the Goodwe. Is it safe to do that? It makes more sense to me for that to happen. Also, on the Goodwe installation instructions it ties the Grid Neutral to the Backup Load Neutral. Will this not prevent the Earth Leakage tripping if I am not mistaken? I have the 2 sets of Neutrals kept separately and not tied together. Should I put them all together?