PowerLine WiFi Extender and Solar Power?

McGuywer

Hi Guys,

I hope this is in the correct forum. Does anyone know if a WiFi extender using power cables work with a solar installation?

My aunt has a solar system installed and needs extra WiFi coverage. Not sure which system she uses, but I was thinking on installing this: https://www.takealot.com/tp-link-wpa4220pkit-300mbps-wireless-av600-powerline/PLID34187724

Anyone with any feedback please?

Thank you.

18 hours ago, McGuywer said:

I hope this is in the correct forum. Does anyone know if a WiFi extender using power cables work with a solar installation?

I do not know. What I do know is that there has been complaints about some of the PLC (power line communication) of some prepaid meters (meter in the street, control panel in the house), and people have reported that some grid-tied inverters made the problem worse.

My personal recommendation is to use a WiFi extender that uses WiFi itself. This one works well for me.

I tried installing something similar for my folks and the experience was pretty poor.

It's far more reliable, potentially even cheaper, to run ethernet. CAT5E and an AP hooked onto that should be a reliable solution.

If you're looking for a scalable solution you can check out mesh networks too, essentially uses a bunch of wireless access points that connect to each other.

I have a couple of them running at my place. (I have some arduino boards running so Wifi is not a option) 
One thing is that you have to keep them on the same line - the moment you go through a DB the signal is shot to much noise. 

The longest one that I had was about 900m and never had any problems with it. 

Just for in case it does not make sense 

DB >>>> PLUG 1 >>>>>>> PLUG 2 -- No problem

Plug 1 >>>>>> DB >>>>>>>> Plug 2 - some times work but you will have issues. 

Also when I run the genny there is just to much noise so then it also does not work ... But that happens once a month on a maintenance run..