Battery Maint.

Leonard

Question

Hi All, 

2xPylontech US3000

I have a ton of battery questions that I first need to research, but right now the biggest panic is heat.

ICC says that my batteries are running around 37deg at the moment, with a big AF fan on the side, surely this is not great.

Usually its ambient +3.. but ambient today is hotter then mamma in the 3rd grade...

How bad is it, when do I turn the batteries off.. 40?

Edited by Leonard

4 answers to this question

From the manual:

Working Temperature
0℃~50℃ Charge
-10℃~50℃ Discharge

Having said that, I think you are right to be worried.  High temperature is one of the biggest factors affecting battery life.

I am building an actively cooled enclosure for mine - I want them to stay near 25°C.

23 hours ago, Leonard said:

Hi All,

2xPylontech US3000

I have a ton of battery questions that I first need to research, but right now the biggest panic is heat.

ICC says that my batteries are running around 37deg at the moment, with a big AF fan on the side, surely this is not great.

Usually its ambient +3.. but ambient today is hotter then mamma in the 3rd grade...

How bad is it, when do I turn the batteries off.. 40?

Put a ceiling in your garage will keep a lot of the heat out. 

You can then also put in some extractors controlled via home assistant to pull the hot air out if it gets too toasty. 

You can also try reducing your charging current setting on the inverter. If the batteries charge at a slower rate they will not heat up as much. I have 2x Dyness B3 3.6kWh batteries, which are quite similar to the Pylontech US3000. I reduced my charging current from 40A to 20A, and it makes a difference of about 2-3 degrees in the peak battery temperature. I also keep my garage door open for extra ventilation.