Add one more panel to 3 panels in series

Warlok

Good day to all.

Currently I have 3 Canadian solar panels connected in series. (1.5 years old).

Want to upgrade to 6 panels eventually, but can only do 1 panel every three months

Now. If I add one more panel, can I connect the first two in series, the second two in series and then in parallel to the inverter?

I know the voltage will drop, but the watts should increase with +- 400w.

The first picture of my dashboard in node red shows my average usage fridge, freezer, tv, internet, security systems and cameras all on

The second one is with the aircon on. It was still early in the morning, but from 10:00 in the morning It can generate about 1150w

So, adding 1 more panel should (maybe give me a bit more headroom)?

Thanks for all the help in the past. I have attached pictures of my inverter specs (clone), but still working, panels and node red

Just added the flow in node red (in case someone wants to comment on how I can change all the parameters for charging etc... (it's a work in progress)

node red dash.JPG

node red dash2.JPG

inverter specs.jpg

panel specs.JPG

flow.JPG

Edited by Warlok
forgot something

52 minutes ago, Warlok said:

Now. If I add one more panel, can I connect the first two in series, the second two in series and then in parallel to the inverter?

Not only could, you really should.🙂 And when you add the next 2, keep them 2-in-series.

These inverters are very sensitive to total voltage - using 72 cell panels 3-in-series is a very bad idea the will almost certainly result in your SCC tripping and may well damage it. (search this forum for @Coulomb's posts to see the details).  Your panels will produce over the 145V allowed limit at 15°C.

As for connecting them in parallel, one should use a combiner box that has a separate fuse for each string, as well as surge protector and DC breaker.  I know that some people just use a Y-connector (much cheaper) - not sure if that is a sensible place to save money.

Edited by Calvin

Thanks allot Calvin.

So that could be a Voc of 94,4v and 1600w?. (not calculating losses).

Just saw today that my batteries are not so well anymore. Used to get about 3 hours @ 500w 30% DOD and now it's only running 1 hour and 80% DOD. I have been looking at them very nicely but after 1.5 years this is it. (Allgrand 6-cnfj-100). The supplier promised me this was the best batteries ever. I was stupid and wont make the same mistake again. Suppose a Pylon battery is the next move. How good has your batteries been?

Edited by Warlok
Added text

1 hour ago, Warlok said:

So that could be a Voc of 94,4v and 1600w?

Correct.

1 hour ago, Warlok said:

Suppose a Pylon battery is the next move. How good has your batteries been?

I have now been using my Pylons for about 10 months and capacity loss so far is less than 1% so I am happy with them   Like all Lithium batteries they treat you well if you treat them well.  Don't overcharge, don't keep fully charged at high temperatures too much.  In summer I normally only charge them to 70% (discharging to about 40% overnight) and they (and the inverters) have their own air conditioner to keep them below 25C.  Once every 2 weeks I take them to 100% @ 52.6V for half an hour to reset the SOC counters.

There is also the option of "second-life" batteries - https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za.  Some good reports although they always seem to be out of stock.

Thanks again. You've bee a great help

Bought 1 more panel today. So tomorrow morning 5 o clock I'm installing it. Got the combiner box. (better be safe) So at 10 past 5 I should be up and running again :)

Just a thought. I told my wife we must run this system like Eskom ran their power grid in the 80's and early 90's otherwise we to will be having load shedding on our own system. My next step now is to save up for lithium batteries. Will have to start with either the 2.4 or the 3.5, but I think the 3.5 will be cheaper in the long run.

Thank you again and have a great weekend

Bian Also sell new cells. I bought a complete build 6kw battery from Bian 3 months ago. Most days i dont even use any eskom power I have 12 330w panels

I run 3 fridges, 2 Tvs, computers and al the other stuff the koi pond pumps as well as the tumble dryer and iron on a 2,4kw mecer inverter, not all at the same time but that is currently how me set up is while i am still renting. 

I believe his batteries are very good.