Deye/Sunsynk 8k installation

PaulinNorthcliff

So... I just completed a Deye (also branded as Sunsynk) installation at my offices.

1717008592_WhatsAppImage2020-11-17at13_53_57.thumb.jpeg.bc7ba00c7f468569f590212a9127b524.jpeg

Previously I had a pair of Kodak i4.6 direct inverters connected under this array of solar panels:

1722428360_WhatsAppImage2020-11-17at13_53_40.thumb.jpeg.fa2f4538d032f53adc4bca554b485f82.jpeg

I had planned an overly complex and expensive storage and UPS solution to be inside the offices, connected to the Kodaks and the PV via a 6mmsq SWAC connected tot he main DB in the house. Turns out the solution was to simplify.

Upgrade to a larger inverter (the Deye is rated to supply 8kw, but can accept PV input of 12w, up to a max of 16kw for 10 seconds), ditch the two Kodaks, and move everything into a rainproof enclosure under the panels.

So far so (very) good.

I installed the Deye on Friday afternoon, and the 4xUS3000 batteries went in yesterday.

Happy days.

Thanks to Gary from Inverter Warehouse for loaning me the Deye to manufacture a solution.

35 minutes ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

That's a huge area for solar panels! I hope that you have earthed them properly.

Why yes... yes I have. And plenty of surge protectors (2 per string x 4 strings). We had a major lightning strike here earlier this year. It came through the council earth and smacked out everything electrical except the solar panels.

• 4 months later...

So, I initially hoped to get away with a small (3kW) Honda petrol genny to supplement the panels during inclement weather. It works, but the results are not what I had hoped for. I would have to switch the property onto Plan C (backup genny) and then use the 3kW supplementary to, achingly slowly, charge the batteries. Patience is not a virtue I possess.

Just replaced the Honda petrol genny with a 6.5kVA Bundu Power silent diesel. Now we can charge the batteries at an appreciably significant rate of knots, AND power the property whenever we need to. Next trick will be to get the inverter to start the genny via the in-built ATS whenever necessary.

56 minutes ago, PaulinNorthcliff said:

So, I initially hoped to get away with a small (3kW) Honda petrol genny to supplement the panels during inclement weather. It works, but the results are not what I had hoped for. I would have to switch the property onto Plan C (backup genny) and then use the 3kW supplementary to, achingly slowly, charge the batteries. Patience is not a virtue I possess.

Just replaced the Honda petrol genny with a 6.5kVA Bundu Power silent diesel. Now we can charge the batteries at an appreciably significant rate of knots, AND power the property whenever we need to. Next trick will be to get the inverter to start the genny via the in-built ATS whenever necessary.

How load is this genny and what's the fuel consumption like? 

On 2021/04/01 at 4:34 PM, Achmat said:

How load is this genny and what's the fuel consumption like? 

They claim 70db at 7m. If you're standing next to it it is deafening (need a better exhaust). It has a 16l fuel tank and we haven't tested the endurance yet (only ran if for about an hour on Thursday) but I reckon it'll do 10 or 12 hours depending on load.