Battery %

Alexander12

Hello,

So if I have a lead acid battery 12v and 60Ah, how can I know when it is 50% full? Which would mean I have to stop using it and let it charge again. On the charge controller you can see the volts but not the %, is it a device I can use to see in %, if yes, how does it work, how can I fix it to the battery? If not, how can I know using the volts?

9 hours ago, Alexander12 said:

I am not sure I understood how to do this.

I would suggest you first go to an Auto electrician with a multi meter and ask him to show to you the difference between parallel and series connections else you almost certainly are going to create some magic smoke... 

Dc is not something you should bugger around with if you don't know the basics. 12v is fairly low but the Amps could burn you badly.... 

10 hours ago, Richard Mackay said:

It's connected in series with the battery cable to measure the current and also requires the battery voltage..

How sure are you about tha?
Looking at the unit and cable sizing that is purely a voltage meter.  Those tiny cables would not withstand high current

8 hours ago, PaulF007 said:

I would suggest you first go to an Auto electrician with a multi meter and ask him to show to you the difference between parallel and series connections else you almost certainly are going to create some magic smoke... 

Dc is not something you should bugger around with if you don't know the basics. 12v is fairly low but the Amps could burn you badly.... 

Okay thanks for the warning.

Do you know some videos which talk about that? Because I am really interested to know how I can use a battery safely.

30 minutes ago, Bernardf said:

You can have a look at this video:  https://youtu.be/1q4dUt1yK0g.  It goes over some of the basics of using a lead acid battery with an inverter for a simple power backup solution for a computer setup.  It does not discuss solar panels though, but it might be useful for your project.

Thank you very much!

2 hours ago, Bernardf said:

You can have a look at this video:  https://youtu.be/1q4dUt1yK0g.  It goes over some of the basics of using a lead acid battery with an inverter for a simple power backup solution for a computer setup.  It does not discuss solar panels though, but it might be useful for your project.

This video shows the use of a battery capacity meter (the LCD display he connects to the battery terminals)

This isn't an amp-hour meter. This determining the capacity of the battery by it's voltage. This is not nearly as accurate as an amp-hour meter.

However voltage is better than nothing and you can get to know approximately what the capacity of your battery is.

16 minutes ago, Richard Mackay said:

This video shows the use of a battery capacity meter (the LCD display he connects to the battery terminals)

This isn't an amp-hour meter. This determining the capacity of the battery by it's voltage. This is not nearly as accurate as an amp-hour meter.

However voltage is better than nothing and you can get to know approximately what the capacity of your battery is.

Okay thank you. So I will watch this video. I am open to other video suggestions.

12 hours ago, Richard Mackay said:

Hence why I questioned your wiring suggestion