Jump to content

Solar Collector Circulation pump


David27
 Share

Recommended Posts

Good day Guys,

I have a client that has a solar panel (Collector) connected to his Geyser, with a controller and circulation pump.

He would like the circulation pump to run during a Power Outage (Load Shedding) from the back up Inverter, and obviously NOT the geyser element. Pump Only..

Is there anyone that can give me some advise as to how connect this this up, using perhaps a Relay...???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David27 said:

He would like the circulation pump to run during a Power Outage (Load Shedding) from the back up Inverter, and obviously NOT the geyser element. Pump Only..

Is the pump A/C or DC? Most DC pumps run from a battery and will still pump during load shedding provided the pump is good. Some of the DC pumps are even solar connected to charge the battery when A/C is off.

What controller is it using , geserwize?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

Is the pump A/C or DC? Most DC pumps run from a battery and will still pump during load shedding provided the pump is good. Some of the DC pumps are even solar connected to charge the battery when A/C is off.

What controller is it using , geserwize?

I've got this. Geyserwise controlling a 12V pump, with 10W solar + battery backup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Speedster said:

I've got this. Geyserwise controlling a 12V pump, with 10W solar + battery backup

It is an AC Pump 220V. so it must be switched by the Inverter, via the controller, only activating the circulation pump, when the temperature in the collector reaches a certain degree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David27 said:

It is an AC Pump 220V. so it must be switched by the Inverter, via the controller, only activating the circulation pump, when the temperature in the collector reaches a certain degree.

Why don't you just move the controller + pump to the essential side?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

Why don't you just move the controller + pump to the essential side?

Probably because the AC pump draws power via the controller, which also powers the element? (Guessing here). If correct he's going to have to find a way to split the power to the pump. Perhaps change the controller to the essential side by running a new cable for it and use the old cable to power the element. Then have the controller activate a contactor for the element which now draws power from the non-essential. Or switch the pump to 12v if the controller allows. 

Edited by Speedster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Speedster said:

Probably because the AC pump draws power via the controller, which also powers the element? (Guessing here). If correct he's going to have to find a way to split the power to the pump. Perhaps change the controller to the essential side by running a new cable for it and use the old cable to power the element. Then have the controller activate a contactor for the element which now draws power from the non-essential. Or switch the pump to 12v if the controller allows. 

Yes you are correct. that is exactly what I should do, Thank you. I also got the the advise from Pierre.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...