Mc4 crimping assistance

zathras

6 hours ago, zathras said:

Goodday, I am doing a DIY solar install with 1 panel. Is anyone able to do 6 crimps with an mc4 crimping tool for me? Johannesburg area (near Norwood). The store I bought the PV cable from did not have the crimping tool. Thanks

You don't need a special crimper, it's just a standard crimper. Local Computer shop will probably do it for free.

2 hours ago, tetrasection said:

You don't need a special crimper, it's just a standard crimper. Local Computer shop will probably do it for free.

Yes and no. You do get MC4s with pins that a normal crimper will work. These have round holes for the cable to go into.

If they look like the ones in the first pic below, then you will  need a special crimper that squeezes the open ends into a "m" shape around the bare wire.

See second pic below. You can see that the jaws of the crimper have special profiles for bending over the open strips of the connector. 

If you just have to crimp a few of the second (more common) variety, just solder them ! 

20pair MC4 terminal pin ,fully Compatible PV pin for MC4 ...

http://engineer-solar.com/Uploads/Editor/image/20140415/20140415215056_57930.jpg

MC4 Crimp tool solar panel connector crimper