Can't Update MCU Axpert VMIII

bib60

Hi Everybody

I'd updated my Axpert clone Main Board with USB method to 41.17 perfectly

Now i want to update the display to 2.66 with RS232 method without succes.

My computer don't have RS232 so i bought a dongle USB --> RS232

Driver CH340 was installed and everything is OK i suppose.

When i start "Remote Panel Reflash Tool" with mcu.hex file, the connection can't be initiated.

I've tried to change speed of Com port to 9600, i've tried on Win XP and Win 10 without succes.

Can i try to update MCU 2.66 with USB method like with main board ???

Thanks for your help

Hi 87

I can't acces too with WatchPower on RS232

Maybe my USB dongle don't work ?

I had seen so many stores that put their mark on the same inverter made in China, maybe Axpert does the same and is not the actual manufacturer ???

So i'm lost 😉

On 2021/08/04 at 11:54 PM, bib60 said:

I've tried to change speed of Com port to 9600, i've tried on Win XP and Win 10 without succes.

No need to set the speed; the reflash tool does that. It actually starts at 2400 bps and changes speed part way through.

It looks like your USB to RS232 converter isn't compatible. From the AEVA page; these are known-good converters available from South Africa:

Can i try to update MCU 2.66 with USB method like with main board ???

No. Only DSP firmware can be updated that way. The removable display firmware has library code that is needed to access the USB port, and when that firmware is erased, that goes away. There isn't enough RAM to hold the firmware image in RAM, possibly plus the flash code, I suspect.

14 hours ago, bib60 said:

I had seen so many stores that put their mark on the same inverter made in China, maybe Axpert does the same and is not the actual manufacturer ???

All the legitimate inverter-chargers are designed by Voltronic Power in Taiwan, and manufactured in mainland China. They are all rebranded; Voltronic is an Original Design Manufacturer. You can't buy a Voltronic Power branded inverter-charger. I think that just means that Voltronic don't want to deal with customers directly; the resellers have to do all the initial hand holding, warranty replacement or repair, and so on. About 2015 (just 2 years after the first model), the clones started appearing. The clones have unknown compatibility and unknown quality, and the circuits might not be copied properly.

So yes, they are all made in China, and there are many names on the covers, but there is a world of difference between a clone and a genuine. It could happen that some clones may actually have better quality and reliability than the originals, but that's unlikely. Even if that happened, they have stolen the intellectual property of the original designers, and haven't paid the full price of designing and refining a product from scratch. So I don't condone deliberately purchasing a clone, but many customers (and more than a few resellers) get caught out not knowing that they are dealing with clones.

Thanks Coulomb

Does it mean that Axpert Inverter  is a Voltronic rebranded or clone rebranded too with bad quality ?

Mine is a WKS EVO II, on Inverter i can find this product number   ofvm35K4K-48 

You can find him here in Italy --> https://www.solarpower24.it/prodotto/primo-vm-iii-5000-48-5000-watt-48-volt/

Normally Axpert VMIII is a 4000W PV input, mine is a 5000W

So is it a clone from China ?

I will try to find better RS232 dongle

The link from Communica, the dongle cost 742€ !!!  🤬

Thanks a lot

Edited by bib60

13 hours ago, bib60 said:

Does it mean that Axpert Inverter  is a Voltronic rebranded or clone rebranded too with bad quality ?

"Axpert" is a name that the manufacturer, Voltronic Power, uses to describe their models. Some resellers keep that name, others do not.

Mine is a WKS EVO II, on Inverter i can find this product number   ofvm35K4K-48 

You can find him here in Italy --> https://www.solarpower24.it/prodotto/primo-vm-iii-5000-48-5000-watt-48-volt/

Ah, Primo. Those seem to be legitimate; they even appear at the top of our AEVA PIP-5048MS topic. That means that at one point, either Weber or myself decided it appeared to be genuine, and we include it in that list so that owners of those inverters can find our topic.

Normally Axpert VMIII is a 4000W PV input, mine is a 5000W

From http://voltronicpower.com/en-US/Product/Detail/Axpert-VM-III-1.5KVA-3KVA-5KVA, I see 5000W beside "Maximum PV array power". That agrees with the Primo website you linked to.

So is it a clone from China ?

One can never be totally sure these days, but I'd say 99.99% no. But made in China, as they all are (genuine Voltronics, and likely 99%+ of clones).

I will try to find better RS232 dongle

The link from Communica, the dongle cost 742€ !!!  🤬

That certainly doesn't sound right for what it is, or should be.

Thanks Coulomb

My 5kW is not enough for my house, i must take care all the time about what i'm using 😀

So i will buy Axpert Max 7.2kW or 8kW from Italy, they answered me that it's Voltronic made. 

I've bought new dongle RS232, i will see if it's working better

Hi

So i've received my new dongle, my MCU was updated to 2.66 correctly 😉

WatchPower and ViewPower are working perfectly.

If you want to have this dongle, it's not really expensive and compatible with Windows 10 😉

GREEN Câble Série USB RS232 DB9 Adaptateur USB Mâle vers RS232 Mâle Support Windows 10 8 7 Mac OS X Linux pour Routeur Switch Telescope (1M)
par UGREEN GROUP LIMITED UK
En savoir plus : https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00QUZY4UG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_DV9RBEX4X0QWHDRJANFT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by bib60