Upgrade advice?

mzezman

Cureent setup is a 5kw Sunsynk, 18x330w CNBM poly panels (9 on each mppt) and 9.6kw Dyness batteries

Am thinking of the next upgrade and need your wise input.

1. Is it possible to add more panels to this config, maybe by running another string in parallel to one of the existing strings?

2. Would it be easier to get a 2nd grid-tied inverter and plug that into the Aux of the Sunsynk?

3. Getting a 2nd Sunsynk in parallel and maxing that out?

Ive termed these next upgrades as phase 3 and 4 and would also include at least 1 more 4.8kw battery

How would you guys approach this?

If you are managing with the current 5kw setup then this is how I would do it at a good price without adding too much more complexity to your current system:

Panels - 5000watts Match them to the charger specs below:
Growatt MPPT Charger 80amps<--link to best price I can find in SA
then add
1 or 2 more batteries to store the new added watts

If budget is not an issue simply double up on your existing system.

1 hour ago, mzezman said:

Cureent setup is a 5kw Sunsynk, 18x330w CNBM poly panels (9 on each mppt) and 9.6kw Dyness batteries

Am thinking of the next upgrade and need your wise input.

1. Is it possible to add more panels to this config, maybe by running another string in parallel to one of the existing strings?

2. Would it be easier to get a 2nd grid-tied inverter and plug that into the Aux of the Sunsynk?

3. Getting a 2nd Sunsynk in parallel and maxing that out?

Ive termed these next upgrades as phase 3 and 4 and would also include at least 1 more 4.8kw battery

How would you guys approach this?

My take is slightly different. You are generating around 30kwh per day. Your battery is 9.8kwh and you manage with the 5kw maximum. Just store more power in batteries by going to another 9.8kwh.

With the great 80A solar charger mentioned earlier.  For R3000 more you can get a off grid like Kodak OG 5.48 and add 5000w of panels and a 9.8kwh battery. Move some load onto this 2nd inverter. Cost wise better than a 2nd Sunsynk. There are some of these available while for a Sunsynk stock only available in Sep.

Less planning to do to stay within 5kw.

Edited by Scorp007

Trade in the 5kW inverter for an 8kW inverter, connect both strings in parallel into one MPPT (9S-2P), and get another 18x330W panels and do the same for the next MPPT.

This way depending on your base load, even with overcast weather you can run the house and charge batteries. Another battery is always a welcome addition, if Eskom blows a transformer in the area.

12 hours ago, TimCam said:

Another battery is always a welcome addition, if Eskom blows a transformer in the area.

As long as your own system does not get a fault with say lightning, battery fault, inverter. Even with SPD panels can be damaged. Couple it with a Eskom outing and you stuck if only 1 system even with 36 panels.

12 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

As long as your own system does not get a fault with say lightning, battery fault, inverter. Even with SPD panels can be damaged. Couple it with a Eskom outing and you stuck if only 1 system even with 36 panels.

Yip, I agree if lightning takes out the system it's a most depressing situation. Unfortunately with two or more systems in the same location, lightning is likely to damage both or all connected systems. Fortunately my system has survived some extreme lightning strikes, which literally make me cringe, as flames shoot out of door reed switches on the alarm system. 😲

7 hours ago, TimCam said:

Yip, I agree if lightning takes out the system it's a most depressing situation. Unfortunately with two or more systems in the same location, lightning is likely to damage both or all connected systems. Fortunately my system has survived some extreme lightning strikes, which literally make me cringe, as flames shoot out of door reed switches on the alarm system. 😲

Lucky for you to survive such strikes. As inverter 1 has its allocation of panels I choose the 2nd inverter as an off grid with it's own panels so the 2 systems are not inter connected. 1 might survive an attack 🤔🤔🤔

The off line 450V Kodak can also work without a battery on very good days and loads run on PV only. Loads depended.

Edited by Scorp007

8 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

The off line 450V Kodak can also work without a battery on very good days and loads run on PV only. Loads depended.

Yip, been thinking of getting a Kodak for the caravan when in the bush, and off grid with 4 to 6 panels.:)

44 minutes ago, TimCam said:

Yip, been thinking of getting a Kodak for the caravan when in the bush, and off grid with 4 to 6 panels.:)

Although not taking much notice of off grid I think the situation calls for having more tools going forward. Just listened to an energy expert indication even with the new announcements made next year we could see double the LS we had this winter.

I'm expecting the grid to become more unstable for at least the next five years, before it might improve. All this talk about Eskom and PV plus battery storage over the next two years, is nothing but politicking. The amount of generation and battery storage they are talking  about is nothing but a joke unfortunately. 🤔

See the link below, the numbers mentioned are worthless when considering the current  shortfall during load-shedding.

Eskom forges ahead with first battery energy storage project – to be used for ‘peak shaving’

https://businesstech.co.za/news/energy/611858/eskom-forges-ahead-with-first-battery-energy-storage-project-to-be-used-for-peak-shaving/

Edited by TimCam