Newbie Needing Some Help Growatt - 5KW 48V Hybrid Inverter + N ENERGY 48V

ConradNK

HI All

My name is Conrad from Gauteng and I am new to the forum. Hoping to learn a lot from this forum.

I recently installed my 5KW Growatt 48V Hybrid Inverter and paired it with a 4.8KWH N Energy Lithium Ion Battery 48v. While setting up the inverter, I struggled to modify the battery type to Lithium. I have tried to change the communication protocol to 52 and 1 no luck. The inverter throws a fault error. But when I set the battery type as AGM I do not experience any issues.

Is it fine to run the battery type on my inverter as AGM ? I have also attached pictures of my settings. I would appreciate anyone's input in helping me modify my settings. thanks

Edited by ConradNK

Hi Conrad. DON'T use AGM... the voltages are wrong for Lithium.

As zsde said, use USE mode and set the parameters to what the battery manual says. Post a page or the entire manual here and I can try and help.

You can run on USEr defined mode but it is certainly better to get the inverter and battery to communicate with each other via the comms cable. Trouble is there are over 15 "profiles" on the Growatt and two ports - CAN and RS485 so it is hard to find a combination that works.

I am busy setting up a bit of a database of inverter and battery combinations and settings and will be happy to go through the pain to get yours working with you to get some data for the register.

Rudie

Looking at this battery on the internet it's a 15 X 3.2 V battery.  = Nominal Voltage: 48.0V.Nominal Capacity:

100Ah Cell & Method: 32700 6Ah.

Recommended charge = Efficiency of Charge: 100%@0. 2C.

I Recommend you charge it at 20 Amps 

Also looking at the display in the front of the battery it appears to me that it has a Seplos BMS.

So even if you run it on USE mode the BMS will protect your battery.

On 2023/01/22 at 1:29 PM, zsde said:

In the absence of BSM comms, it is suggested you use "USE" mode. That battery at minimum is a 0,5C, meaning you could set the charge to 50A.
Get the pinouts for the RJ45 connector on the Battery to see which pins are for the CAN connection. Without that being correct, Li protocol will not work. 

Thanks I also tried Use2 and the Lithium icon didn't stop flashing, so i guess there is no communication.

RS485.JPG

Edited by ConradNK

On 2023/01/23 at 4:04 PM, Antonio de Sa said:

Looking at this battery on the internet it's a 15 X 3.2 V battery.  = Nominal Voltage: 48.0V.Nominal Capacity:

Also looking at the display in the front of the battery it appears to me that it has a Seplos BMS.

Hi Antoni .thanks for the help . i will change the charge rate to 20.I have been running on the attached settings since Friday . Is there any other setting that I have to change ?

Edited by ConradNK

1 hour ago, RudShep said:

As zsde said, use USE mode and set the parameters to what the battery manual says. Post a page or the entire manual here and I can try and help.

You can run on USEr defined mode but it is certainly better to get the inverter and battery to communicate with each other via the comms cable. Trouble is there are over 15 "profiles" on the Growatt and two ports - CAN and RS485 so it is hard to find a combination that works.

I am busy setting up a bit of a database of inverter and battery combinations and settings and will be happy to go through the pain to get yours working with you to get some data for the register.

Rudie

Hi Rudie

You are the man thanks. I will PM you the manually shortly

4 minutes ago, ConradNK said:

Hi Antoni .thanks for the help . i will change the charge rate to 20.I have been running on the attached settings since Friday . Is there any other setting that I have to change ?

7CD5F158-887C-4087-918A-D4AF7811ADF8.jpeg

E52D4D8F-14B8-401E-9137-45166D6049A8.jpeg

410CB439-9CE8-4B59-AA18-80B7E7F50341.jpeg

Just make sure the charge and float voltages are according with the OEM recommendations. 

Edited by Antonio de Sa

On 2023/01/23 at 3:32 PM, RudShep said:

Rudie

37 minutes ago, chelin said:

Hi Conrad did your own cabling work with the crimper,is your inverter now picking up the  battery

Hi no luck hey. Tried various settings with the growatt support team over the phone. Apparently my battery isn’t compatible with the growatt inverter.

https://www.amosplanet.org/how-to-commission-the-communication-between-lithium-ion-battery-and-spf-3500-5000es/

9 hours ago, chelin said:

So my N Energy battery is running on my Growatt for a few days now. It seems to be working fine now, my installer just added all the settings in the inverter and battery is charging up when it hits 20% discharge. I would have preferred to connect with the coms cable but it cannot sadly 

The battery itself seems strong i just hope to get many cycles from it. The other bonus is it has BMS built in for protection.  Thanks for all the help guys, gtrst Forum

On 2023/01/23 at 4:04 PM, Antonio de Sa said:

On 2023/01/23 at 5:10 PM, ConradNK said:

Thanks I also tried Use2 and the Lithium icon didn't stop flashing, so i guess there is no communication.

RS485.JPG

I think you have a problem might be with the cable pin-out.

It should be pins 1, 2, 3 on the battery side to pins 1, 2, 3 on the inverter side. Straight through in other words. The battery only supports RS485 and not CAN.

Rudie

11 minutes ago, RudShep said:

I think you have a problem might be with the cable pin-out.

It should be pins 1, 2, 3 on the battery side to pins 1, 2, 3 on the inverter side. Straight through in other words. The battery only supports RS485 and not CAN.

Rudie

meaning a normal  RJ45 cable should work ?