Shattered panel fix

babweupatree

Hi there, one of my panels shattered. It still works but am worried about water leaking through the cracks. Wondering if this is still safe to use and if not how would one fix something like this? The manufacturer says the panel warranty is void as I mounted it on top of my truck.

Perhaps covering with some kind of scotchbrite material to keep the panel a bit more water resistant?

Images attached!

WhatsApp Image 2017-11-02 at 12.35.43 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-11-02 at 12.35.43 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-11-02 at 12.35.43 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-11-02 at 12.35.43.jpeg

My wife used a product to seal an outdoor mosaic table called Pratley-Glow, it is self levelling and looks like clear glass once set. If the panel is laid absolutely level for application then this product will self level to a very thin and waterproof layer.

I dont know about UV properties - you would need to look that up.

Genade did some one fall on it? Never knew that the glass is shatter proof. With all those little shards you may or may not even get be better yield :lol:. I dont think the epoxy will have an effect on the uv.  But you already got no , you can only get yes!!

No, it just popped. I had two panels mounted on the top of my truck and was driving to the Richtersveld - in Springbok one of the panels popped - it was pretty loud! Anyway both panels went over plenty kilometers of some pretty bad corrugated gravel roads, over thick sand tracks and rocky tracks. Both worked perfectly - had them wired in parallel. Only problem is I don't think the shattered panel is waterproof anymore and not sure what kind of electrical hazard it poses now in wet weather?

Tried to find the UV properties of the PratleyGlo but no luck yet! Seems like a nice solution!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 03/11/2017 at 5:07 PM, babweupatree said:

I don't think the shattered panel is waterproof anymore and not sure what kind of electrical hazard it poses now in wet weather?

It would not pose any electrical hazard, as far as I can tell. Certainly not any sort of shock hazard, as the highest voltage possible would be around 45 VDC, if it's a 24 V panel. Half that for a 12 V panel, obviously.

The only possible problem could be heat from high resistance joints. You could get hot spots and possibly a very small fire. It sounds like it would be unlikely to spread to anything else on top of a truck, so I'd guess that the hazard is minuscule. It's still worth attempting to fix it, or of course replace the panel.

On 2017/11/02 at 7:31 PM, PaulF007 said:

Genade did some one fall on it? Never knew that the glass is shatter proof. With all those little shards you may or may not even get be better yield :lol:. I dont think the epoxy will have an effect on the uv.  But you already got no , you can only get yes!!

I often see panels like this at suppliers. Often happen on the ships at rought seas.