"Floating Neutral"

Leonb

Just an update. FYI

I managed to get the guy out that issued the COC (installer missing in action - too busy for these "small" issues).

He rewired the relay, but still did not solve the issue. Came out again. Seems that actual relay was also not working. See photo of damaged wiring

AJFCJaV987vjKX1qHKtPgEN9VOVjy8xsS7i0juMySw9o1PfizfXOPxO_k3Y-0r6JZf0qtYJxkl7SRxvdpnAucCU4GQoM1-yYskD10dhLnkw8mu_lVNCpB-uMCVFKynicg7LQwi9L_1fQEPiWdLdqiVRpF8XnUemP2s-pSkmOek3G1RLNXhNWUAJFywv5Fi6LyUE2lqvmLIwUOkgszjOwRbpiqAXhGSCtfKZtkHaFeW3GPjtlZHwT1RCYHjwzgGQtJiRcgeHo2NN5r2RT2C25XaE3grPg8tJ4MZXlIeR_uIvVtSnt96qI2ukVWiI-d1aqaLZlRNNv_JroJ1CVMyJikTX_UCAyyIOwAGB9TMZKKRI1GMpihTUQXwUUTQpxGmZs0Se6udhQFF8cpw7CRRY0dSoUZTMBOo39Gw-ZgiVWRpd0B4GMMeyMCBdFposZ0w5lBLNcKGe9iGkNtRTT6osKAm75qKpHoh8zNo5bV-Pyo6BTIDjL1Kv6KCJxUfdnnRezEOtB9I6gtYGtImDpQlJFdq0EB_kX29eU5aryU4liiHk1ujHDoo4jgzGKnMMobkPvGu121ruclsMW2o1lcK9ZamzjoGN5VCk971xqBhqZf5yHCrt4So__Zu4ab2wxXzGQDcOF0_znF28CEliTzSt8FVysspBDF1BmacgWW7KAfAycqIGOZg5o5xIb2Ueba7N3BTaAm95A9ZQaY4CxNb8gfhnr-2pOIQGzfNvMDoTrvCnqCfgbGlCmoq59SzghQhIUC4cy0P9nWvXIKQKsPx3xDHys57JPoFRWgVt0N_BB85qtx6OciY863QE5bmOqpIYwyV5Husxh2yIVmUEScBMaCj6-F4UbFN0Vn6rAKp2XfpTiwdrOkFuOFjs5ePOmrmlQDDC8JBTF2bIKUUktO7gFj6y6NUU=w806-h940-s-no?authuser=0

He did permanent bond on inverter output, and all is working now. No more glowing LEDs or strange voltage readings.

• 3 weeks later...

I still have some of my LEDs in the house flickering continuously when running from the inverter/batteries. Any ideas what this could be?

Would mixed neutrals (between essential and non-essential wiring) somewhere in house DB or in roof cause something like this? If so, how could I confirm if this is the issue. Any test or other way without needing to physically track and trace every wire in the house? 

3 hours ago, Leonb said:

I still have some of my LEDs in the house flickering continuously when running from the inverter/batteries. Any ideas what this could be?

Would mixed neutrals (between essential and non-essential wiring) somewhere in house DB or in roof cause something like this? If so, how could I confirm if this is the issue. Any test or other way without needing to physically track and trace every wire in the house? 

My approach would be to remove some of this LEDs that flicker the most and connect one by one directly on the inverter output and then switch the inverter on and run from battery. If no flickering then you need to investigate as the problem is then on the wiring. 

Edited by Scorp007

3 hours ago, Leonb said:

Hi @Leonb ok I know the issue about bonding has driven aleady into the ground in this thread, but can you confirm the voltage reading between output neutral and earth you get when the inverter is islanding (battery mode)? 

2 minutes ago, BritishRacingGreen said:

Hi @Leonb ok I know the issue about bonding has driven aleady into the ground in this thread, but can you confirm the voltage reading between output neutral and earth you get when the inverter is islanding (battery mode)? 

Also can you confirm that thebonding relay actually get energised when inverter is islanding? 

And also, are you bonding the correct neutral (essential output)? 

Edited by BritishRacingGreen

3 hours ago, Leonb said:

If you would have mixed neutrals between essential and non essential you would have at least one of the 2 earth leakages trip as soon as the curcuit with mixed neutrals is switched on as the earth leakage will see a unbalance between L and N

32 minutes ago, BritishRacingGreen said:

30 minutes ago, BritishRacingGreen said:

Also can you confirm that thebonding relay actually get energised when inverter is islanding? 

And also, are you bonding the correct neutral (essential output)? 

Hi. 

It is a permanent N/E bond at the Inverter, on the inverter output. The Earth is taken from the Main DB. The distance between the Main DB in the house and Inverter installation (garage) is about 15m. 

There is a N/E bond at my property on the grid side of the municipal meter where it enters the house. Just FYI

All the plug points in the house that are fed from the inverter have zero voltage between N and E when islanding.

Some of the LEDs are on a chandelier (10) and they all flicker at the same time. The LEDs are on a dimmer, so at first I thought the dimmer might be issue, but I replaced it with a new "Shuttle dimmer" and it still flickers when running on inverter. Strangely, some times the flicker is only slight, overtimes its very bad. There are also other LEDs lights that flicker, so its not only the ones on the dimmer. But there are also LEDs that do not flicker, or at least not as noticable.